Feral Cat Adjustment

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, after reading a thread about how to handle semiferal cats (specifically letting them come to you and not taking them out of hiding places), I'm thinking that I made a mistake with my cat, Felix. I tried picking him up last night with the idea of holding him while watching tv. He was behind the chair on a blanket, which is his new safe place. He reacted badly (going for my hands with his mouth like he was irritated when I tried to pet him). I don't think he would have broken skin without further provocation. However, it was certainly not good.

I'm also concerned that he's not being quite as sociable as he was (for example, instead of sleeping on my bed in the evenings, he will go downstairs if I try to get on my bed and read my Kindle and/or pet him). And concerned that he seems to have lost some of his kitten playfulness (for example, I find it hard to get him to play with a toy that he used to go nuts for). And that when he's in the house he doesn't seem completely relaxed (he will seek out places like behind the chair) to sleep in.

The good things are that he is showing a preference for hanging out in the living room. He also likes to come upstairs and touch noses with me in the morning.

My questions for you. Besides letting Felix initiate interaction like you would with a feral cat, do you have any other advice for me? Second, do you see anything that would raise concerns (either for Felix's ability to adjust to us long term, or for a health issue that might need checked out)? Or does he sound like pretty normal for a feral/shy cat? I'm keeping him at this point, mainly because I see the potential for him to be the cat friend that I wanted when I adopted a kitten. However, if he's not adjusting well and that can't be fixed, that would be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not all cats are the same. Be it domesticated, semi-feral or feral, some just don’t like to be petted. Some let you pet or carry for a few seconds and that’s it while some a little longer. Some cats don’t like the over stimulation.

Have more play time with him, more interactions but hold back on the petting or carrying. First, let him come to you, let him smell your fingers or let him rub up on you and then pet him but just watch his reaction. If you think it’s too much, stop petting him.

Cats have their own safe place where they can see you, you don’t have to see them which is not important but it’s important that they can see you. So they can be anywhere as long as they have their sight on you.

Having him near and around you in the living room is as close as a lap cat can be. That is his way of being a lap cat. Not necessarily to be on your lap to be called a lap cat.

Nose bumping is a sign that he trust you and love you. Try eye blinking exchanges with him after the nose bump. If he responds, the bond is greater.

So don’t push it else he’ll always stay away and probably he needs more time to adjust to you and your family and unit may take awhile but love, patience and routine is the key to get him to be closer to you and getting a second cat is always a gamble, so consider carefully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will certainly try not pushing it :) Also the slow blink thing. And will let you know how it goes.

I should clarify that I am not thinking of getting another cat (it sounded like that's the impression you got from my post). If I were to give up Felix (because I think he's not settling and/or because I don't think I can handle two cats with special needs), it would be with the idea of concentrating on my older cat (Trixie) and on my family. I meant, when I adopted Felix, it was because I wanted a cat that would be a friend to me. And I think he might have the potential to be that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I"m happy to report he's doing better behavior wise (relaxing in his corner instead of acting nervous). Also, my Dad said that he's letting him pet him in the mornings. So, I think the less is more is the right approach to this cat :)

Do you have any advice on doing the slow blink method? I've tried that before, and I think I was doing it wrong (he ended up moving away, like I was staring or otherwise making him nervous).

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great to hear that he is relaxed.

For slow blinking, one is the kitty will do a return blink, which means he’s comfortable with you or he loves you.
Second, what you can do is slow blink at him and and then look away. This is to show him that he is the dominant one, which is like he is in control.
Third, don’t stare at him, which may frighten him or make him aggressive as like you are picking a fight with him. Main reason for slow blink is to get kitty to get comfortable with you and to show that you are no threat to him.