Feral 3 Month Old Kitten

samahalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I would love to get any advice from you guys! I love what you guys do! I recently rescued a 3 month old kitten who had cat bite marks, an upper respiratory infection, and many fleas. I took him to the vet and got him treated. I’m just want any advice for his socialization process! The first day with him he did not want to play and was very scared when I would pet him ( he does not bite or hiss). Now he plays, & sometimes even comes towards me for play. but he’s still very skittish. Although he sometimes sleeps next to me at night. He gets very afraid when I walk and especially when I walk towards him. He hides and is still a little skittish when I put my hand towards him. But loves pets.

I just want advice! & I’m hoping he will stop being skittish and not afraid. It’s hard doing it alone and no support on what to do. I’m trying everything and I’m hoping for the best.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give it time... when I rescued these two youngsters of mine, the shelter didn't mention that they were feral or possibly abandoned. Took an entire month for Phoenix to get close enough for me to pet her... Tiger was skittish too, but he came along faster and now sleeps atop the bed. Phoenix has yet to sleep atop the bed, though she's now jumping up on it every so often. Patience is a virtue when dealing with such cats: Phoenix is the shyest cat I ever met, but I can now pick her up and set her on the dining room table without her even flinching. If your kitten is a scaredy cat, just go easy and don't pay too much attention when the cat gets that way... sometimes, if you just go about your own business and don't stare or make sudden moves toward your cat, the cat will eventually realize that you're not a threat. Of course, you still need to be aware of the cat's location, as stepping on the kitty will be a setback. Also, yelling will ratchet up the fear factor, even if it's not cat-related (stubbing your toe, for example). I've caught myself cursing aloud once or twice, then looked around to see Phoenix or Tiger cringing, as if I had been roaring at them... so that's no good around such cats. Meh, I reckon these two youngsters of mine will help me clean up my act, 10-4? :bigeyes: