FeLV questions

Skwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feline Trap, Neuter and Release (TNR) and Rescue in Amman, Jordan. We don't have access to PCR tests so we only use the ELISA "snap" tests for FeLV and FIV. One or more of my Rescues was infected with FeLV but didn't show positive on the ELISA and infected at least two other Rescues. One of them was going to come home with me to the US to join my family and our two other cats. It's absolutely devastating. I've been coming the internet for information and the majority of it seems to be cut and pasted from other sites. I've reached out to several Rescues in the US that do FeLV Fostering looking for more answers but I'm not at all sure of the information. In particular I'm looking for concrete, fact and evidence based answers to the following questions.

1. What is the efficacy of the FeLV vaccine? It always states "no vaccine is 100%". Is it effective enough to have the FeLV cats in a house with non-FeLV cats? Does anyone have first hand experience with this?

2. The information always mentions that "85% of cats with FeLV die within 2.5 years". Does anyone have FeLV cats that have lived longer?

3. What FeLV Rescues on the East Coast are there? I can get the cats to the US but finding someone to Foster and/or Adopt them is a nightmare. It has been suggested by several people that I lie about the cat's condition and I refuse to do that.

4. One FeLV Rescue said that "any FeLV+ cat that is subjected to an international flight dies within 90 days" due to the stress. Does anyone have any proof of that? I find it a bit hard to believe.

5. What other resources are out there to get FeLV cats Fostered and Adopted?

Thank you for your assistance and wisdom on behalf of Rania, Broccoli and Lisa (the infected cats).

6. The research I've done says that it's possible for a minority of cats to purge the virus from their systems. Ok. Would that mean they test positive on the ELISA test and then later test negative? If so, what is the timeframe on that? The verbiage and descriptions I've found related to this are vague and confusing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for this information. I'm hoping for more first-hand experience from the members of this forum.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you could benefit from reading some of the previous threads from members, while you wait for them to see your post? I can't promise you they all are 'positive', and some are not likely to be specifically related to your questions, so just be aware of that as you go through them.
Search Results for Query: FeLV | TheCatSite

It just takes some time for members to peruse through threads, so you might very well expect to hear first-hand from some over the coming days!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In particular I'm looking for concrete, fact and evidence based answers to the following questions.

1. What is the efficacy of the FeLV vaccine? It always states "no vaccine is 100%". Is it effective enough to have the FeLV cats in a house with non-FeLV cats? Does anyone have first hand experience with this?
As far as I know, the FeLV vaccine's efficacy isn't high. I've been told something between 70% and 85%. Of course, I believe that a definitive value is hard to find. Also, the efficacy of the vaccine tend to increase after a couple of boosters.
I wouldn't trust a FeLV vaccine to keep a non-FeLV cat safe from a FeLV one in the same household. I would trust it even less if the cat hasn't received the boosters. But this is my opinion.

2. The information always mentions that "85% of cats with FeLV die within 2.5 years". Does anyone have FeLV cats that have lived longer?
I have rarely seen a FeLV cat live longer than 3 years post diagnosis. Some live even shorter.
I cooperate with a local shelter. FeLV cats are kept in a separate environment from others. Yesterday one of them died after less than a year since she was diagnosed. She was 2.5 yo. I saw a few other cats die from FeLV in the last couple of years.
Some said that younger cats might live less than older cats when infected.
It's different when they are born with this condition, they might die in a couple of years, or even get rid of the virus as they grow up.
One of these FeLV cats at the shelter was born with FeLV, and died before she could turn 2 years of age. Her brother is going to be four in a few months, and so far he's looking great.

3. What FeLV Rescues on the East Coast are there? I can get the cats to the US but finding someone to Foster and/or Adopt them is a nightmare. It has been suggested by several people that I lie about the cat's condition and I refuse to do that.
Can't reply here, I live in Italy.

4. One FeLV Rescue said that "any FeLV+ cat that is subjected to an international flight dies within 90 days" due to the stress. Does anyone have any proof of that? I find it a bit hard to believe.
It is possible that a huge stress might weaken the immune system, and hence worsen the cat's condition.
The cat at the shelter who died yesterday got visibly worse after we put a flea collar on her. She was a true fighter, and we had a very hard time to have her to wear that collar. She was visible stressed after that manoeuvre. Since that day, her health went downhill, and she left us about 6 weeks later.

5. What other resources are out there to get FeLV cats Fostered and Adopted?
Can't answer.

6. The research I've done says that it's possible for a minority of cats to purge the virus from their systems. Ok. Would that mean they test positive on the ELISA test and then later test negative? If so, what is the timeframe on that? The verbiage and descriptions I've found related to this are vague and confusing.
See above. It is possible to clear the virus out the system, but I don't know the time frame, and I believe it could depend on different factors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skwish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have searched these forums, and many others before I posted. I am well aware of the likely outcome for the cats in my care that have been diagnosed. At this point I'm grasping for any slim chance of hope I can find.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have searched these forums, and many others before I posted. I am well aware of the likely outcome for the cats in my care that have been diagnosed. At this point I'm grasping for any slim chance of hope I can find.
This is one of the posts that was included in one of the threads in that search I offered to you -

I have one cat positive for FeLV, is a son and a brother to my other two. After he repeatedly got sick and then he got so bad he couldn't walk and lost over half his body weight I brought him to the vet who said he had 'days' to live, had almost zero white blood cells, and recommended euthanasia. I couldn't do it, brought him home and encouraged him to take a tiny bite of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. He had a few licks a day until i did research and ordered some DMG, an immune system supplement and LifeGold supplement for cancers in cats. These can be ordered almost anywhere online, Walmart, Amazon, etc. I started him on that and somehow he pulled through! It has been three years since that terrible diagnosis. The thing is, if the cat is over a year old they CAN and do fight back. If they can hold on for at least 28 days or so their bone marrow produces more blood cells. I don't know if my other two have it (the vet said they did), and they do get sick very rarely, but nothing like that first time with the other. I also made sure they are not exposed to a lot by keeping them all strictly indoors. There has been a lot of new research and many say it can only be passed on by mating or fighting where there are deep bites, like FIV. I wouldn't retest. Like you I could never separate my three. I have had three more years with my little ones and am eternally grateful, I hope this gives you the courage to just take what comes and love all your littles as long as you can!