Feline Urinary Obstructions

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my cat has been showing weird behavioural patterns during peeing. Before that I would like to mention that my cat is 1year, 2 months old and is not neutered. The surgery is due on February. Meanwhile he is showing signs of excitement - always screaming and wanting to go outside. A day back , I noticed him scratching everywhere and looking for a place to pee. He just wouldn't pee in the litter box. After screaming throughout the day he finally peed on a piece of cloth which he used to pee early during the morning. He smelt that and peed there. The next day again he was posturing to sit in the litter box but was unable to pee. I noticed he peed in little dribbles and thats all. Scared , that he might have an urinary blockage I decided to take him to the hospital. The moment I stepped out of the house and got him inside my car he peed quite an amount. Other than that , his appetite has sort of reduced but itsokay. He is willing to eat 4 times a day and is also very playful. I am confused really. Does he actually have an urinary obstruction? Or is it just a weird pattern of his behavioural instincts because of the sexual arousal to mate ? Nevertheless, he is peeing 2times in appropriate amounts everyday.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Better to be safe than sorry and have him checked out by a vet. Something is going on to make him prefer to pee outside the litter box - that alone is enough of a reason. There is such a thing as a partial blockage, which would still enable him to pee. He may also be passing stones which can be very painful. Maybe there is a correlation with him being intact, but I wouldn't want to gamble on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ailurophilia5972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Better to be safe than sorry and have him checked out by a vet. Something is going on to make him prefer to pee outside the litter box - that alone is enough of a reason. There is such a thing as a partial blockage, which would still enable him to pee. He may also be passing stones which can be very painful. Maybe there is a correlation with him being intact, but I wouldn't want to gamble on that.
You are right. I contacted the vet and had a few blood tests done. No signs of UTI. So it has to be a blockage. I have an appointment for my cat's usg tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.