Feline only vets [discussion]

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat always goes back in her carrier, on the floor, when they are done with her. She wants to. Maybe the vet just figured the cat would want away from him /her as soon as they were done? Am I the only one who doesn’t find this the least bit strange or bothersome?
I’ve found it varies - some of my cats have got back in the carrier, some not. Phoebe doesn’t want to get back in - I’d much rather she did!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I place my cat back in her carrier, as she is more comfortable being there after being poked and prodded. I did not place her on the floor, but rather left her on the table. It was the vet who chose to remove her from the table and put her on the floor. Any vet who thinks that a cat belongs on a dirty floor is going to give me bad vibes. Sorry, but there is absolutely no reason for having done so.

Wonder how anyone would feel about a pediatrician placing a baby in a baby carrier on the floor while they chat with the parent?
If the cat is still in the carrier, I can't see how it's harming the cat. I mean, they clean and sanitize the whole room before they bring in the next cat (at least the one I go to, I've seen them do it). If they are not doing that at this practice, there are a lot more issues than a carrier on the floor.

I guess you could have put the carrier on your lap? Where was the carrier before you put the cat in it? I would think if I were a vet I wouldn't want it on the table where they examine the cats because that doesn't seem particularly sanitary to me. When I go to the vet, I remove my cat from the carrier and leave the carrier on the floor. I then either hold the kitty if they tolerate being held (Austin) or put then on the table if they don't (Cricket). I mean, you can always clean the carrier off when you get home, which is a good thing to do anyway. I have to admit my own floor at home is probably not overly sanitary most of the time either. Who knows what we drag in on our shoes?

However, if it's an issue for you, maybe you should politely bring it up with the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think if I were a vet I wouldn't want it on the table where they examine the cats because that doesn't seem particularly sanitary to me... However, if it's an issue for you, maybe you should politely bring it up with the vet.
If there were any germs on the carrier, they would be ones that the cat is exposed to all the time, so I am not sure how having the carrier on the table could be considered unsanitary, given the vet should be taking their own cleaning precautions between appts. The exam table should be cleaned beforehand and afterward, so the only 'germs' are ones affiliated with that cat to begin with - unlike the floors in the vet's practice. Even if a vet practice sanitizes the floor between appts, they and their assistants bring in germs on their feet - that can't be prevented, unless they all wear a new pair of disposable booties during each appt. - maybe your vet does.

My cat's carrier is cleaned afterward, and never left on floors, even in my own home. Besides, cleaning it off when I get home doesn't preclude her exposure to 'foreign' germs when she was placed on the floor at the vet's.

There were a multitude of issues, for me, with this vet; the carrier was just one. The other things that went on didn't make me appreciate her being any better as a cat-only vet than the ones I have seen who are not. That was the major point I was trying to make when I first posted. Nonetheless, I don't have to worry about talking to her about the carrier issue, as I have no intention of ever going back there.

As I said before, I sincerely doubt anyone would be willing to have their baby/carrier placed on the floor - for any reason. So, I don't see why the same consideration should not be given to cats.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve never given this any thought before. We normally bring all three cats in for their checkup at the same time. They are big cats and have extra large carriers, which would not fit on the table at the same time. Ive always brought them in and lined them up on the floor. They stay in there until the vet comes in and only one is let out at a time. Then we put them back in before getting the next one out.

If only one cat is going to the vet, I still put the carrier on the floor, but we let the cat out to roam around until the vet comes. After the exam, they always go back into their carrier while the vet visits with us.

I’ve never thought to clean the carrier after the visit. Perhaps I should.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only one cat is going to the vet, I still put the carrier on the floor, but we let the cat out to roam around until the vet comes. After the exam, they always go back into their carrier while the vet visits with us.

I’ve never thought to clean the carrier after the visit. Perhaps I should.
This is just an opinion.. I wouldn't let them roam around on the floor due to other cats being on the floor before your cats appointment.. then the floors not being cleaned in between each appointment. Or if they are sanitizing the floor in between each appointment the vet and vet tech are still walking on the floor where the other cats have been so the germs are now back in the room on the floor from their shoes..

About the carriers when you have all 3 could you have someone with you and bring in one at a time? This way they aren't being set on the floor? Or if one can fit on the table and you could put the 2nd and 3rd on chairs (our vet has some of the wide hospital style chairs) if they have them at your vet that could work I'd bring sanitizing wipes to clean the chairs before putting their carriers on them.

I only have the one kitty and her carrier is never wet on the floor. If i bring wipes ill clean the chair and put the carrier there if not then it is on the table only. She is on the table until the vet leaves then I put her back in her carrier then we leave.. her vet has never placed her carrier on the floor with or without her in it. When we get home I then sanitize the carrier.

This is really for anyone I'm this is my personal opinion on how it should be to try to reduce the chance of germs from other kitties getting on the carrier or on my kitty. I am OCD when it comes to germs from other kitties and my little lady..

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said before, I sincerely doubt anyone would be willing to have their baby/carrier placed on the floor - for any reason. So, I don't see why the same consideration should not be given to cats.
I have a baby. I do put the car seat up on the table if I haven't attached it to the stroller, but I honestly don't mind putting on the ground (and will do in parking lots because it's easier to get baby strapped in well versus when it's already clicked into the base in the car). If I had to put it down on the floor at the doctor's it would be no big deal. And once my oldest was walking, or even sitting, if she was happier on the floor, I was cool with it.

I also have no problem leaving the cat carrier on the floor (there's really no room on the table), and if my cat jumps down on the floor, or to get in her carrier, that's cool.

Maybe this makes me not concerned enough about germs, but neither my human or fur kids get that consideration, I guess. :lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had any health concern about them walking around in the consulting room, nor have any of them picked up anything from doing so. My only problem was a clinic that had a bench with a gap under it that they would hide under!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe this makes me not concerned enough about germs, but neither my human or fur kids get that consideration, I guess.
I just would prefer not to expose my 19+yo cat with multiple illnesses/diseases to anything I don't have to! I would have thought a cat-only vet would be in sync with that concept. Apparently, it isn't really that much of a concern to some, not even those with babies. To each his/her own.:salute:

Again, this wasn't the crux of my original comments, but apparently struck a chord with a few.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is much food for thought in these comments, I really enjoy hearing people’s perspectives.

As far as the original purpose of this thread, there is no cat only vet in this town. The closest would be 4-5 hours away. I really wish we had one. So far I’m reasonably satisfied with our current veterinary practice, they are Fear Free certified and are gentle with our cats, and there are several more in town if that should change.

I’m extremely happy that we also have a 24 hour 7 days a week emergency vet only 20 minutes away. I’ve read many threads where people need emergency care for their cat and they have to wait all weekend or worse, so I’m very thankful for that at least.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m extremely happy that we also have a 24 hour 7 days a week emergency vet only 20 minutes away. I’ve read many threads where people need emergency care for their cat and they have to wait all weekend or worse, so I’m very thankful for that at least.
Same here - the animal emergency clinic isn’t open 24/7, but its hours cover the times when the other clinics are closed.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As far as the original purpose of this thread, there is no cat only vet in this town.
Thank you for getting back to the original topic of this thread. :thanks: And I agree that it is convenient for multiple reasons to have an emergency vet within a reasonable distance.