Feline Hyperesthesia

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think my cat has problems with Feline Hyperesthesia. It mostly happens when he is frustrated with something, such as not being able to go out. Apart from "rolling wave" on his skin alongside his spine, he rolls his tongue, and then sprints and runs fast as if in a kind of flight response from something dangerous. He also shakes his head in times...He has a strange movement in his tail as well, as if additional "waves"...cannot even describe this...
He was checked by vet, nothing to be found. They ask me to video him, but as this is not really predictable and very short, I have not managed to capture this...
He seem much calmer after KalmAid gel supplement...
Additionally, I have noticed that he does not really likes to be stroked, although getting better since I have him (2 years)...When he was little he had very little social interaction as his owner was working long shifts...he apparently used to meow loudly, as she saw him on house camera. This is the reason she decided to give him away...
He will be 3 years old this weekend...
I think his childhood behaviours remained...He does not like touch, never sits on lap, does not like any cuddles, but likes to be close to me...and of course, loves his box!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feline hyperesthesia is a diagnosis of exclusion. So everything else must be ruled out first. If you aren’t seeing a cat only vet I would suggest you see one, or a board certified veterinary behaviorist. Not a person that calls themselves a cat behaviorist, an actual veterinarian that has done extensive study and is boarded in behavior. I think there are medications that could help your cat.

KLSSN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my cat has problems with Feline Hyperesthesia. It mostly happens when he is frustrated with something, such as not being able to go out. Apart from "rolling wave" on his skin alongside his spine, he rolls his tongue, and then sprints and runs fast as if in a kind of flight response from something dangerous. He also shakes his head in times...He has a strange movement in his tail as well, as if additional "waves"...cannot even describe this...
He was checked by vet, nothing to be found. They ask me to video him, but as this is not really predictable and very short, I have not managed to capture this...
He seem much calmer after KalmAid gel supplement...
Additionally, I have noticed that he does not really likes to be stroked, although getting better since I have him (2 years)...When he was little he had very little social interaction as his owner was working long shifts...he apparently used to meow loudly, as she saw him on house camera. This is the reason she decided to give him away...
He will be 3 years old this weekend...
I think his childhood behaviours remained...He does not like touch, never sits on lap, does not like any cuddles, but likes to be close to me...and of course, loves his box!
By any chance do you have a balcony at your place?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have a cat with that, she is miserable, almost constantly licking. Sometimes raw patches. she too will almost attack when you stroke anywhere near her tail. I have tried everything known to man about to help her, from allergy meds, seizure medicines, to calming drugs, the ONLY things that seem to calm her down some are CBD oil, twice daily (NOT hemp oil, I get it over the counter at a pharmacy) and now Zertec 2.5mg (1/4 of a 10 mg human tablet) which I just started and could increase to 5 mg. if you find something that helps completely, please post it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feline hyperesthesia is a diagnosis of exclusion. So everything else must be ruled out first. If you aren’t seeing a cat only vet I would suggest you see one, or a board certified veterinary behaviorist. Not a person that calls themselves a cat behaviorist, an actual veterinarian that has done extensive study and is boarded in behavior. I think there are medications that could help your cat.
Hi, I am psychologist myself, so I understand the need for training.
I think it wil be difficult to find anyone trained only in cats behaviour in my area...:(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By any chance do you have a balcony at your place?
Unfortunately, no. And I only rent so I cannot really build anything...he watches life outside and sometimes appears stressed he cannot get out, this impacts on his level of agitation, I think

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat behavior is so unpredictable and complicated, no wonder there are few who study it. Each cat is full of different and unique behaviors, a wonder of contradictions and unpredictability!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you in the US? If so I can link a site to find behaviorists in your area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep trying to get a video as it will help to an extent with a diagnosis. My Chelsea was diagnosed with it. Her symptoms were a sudden "retreat" into what appeared to be her own mental state, huge dark eyes, frantic chasing of her tail with seeming non-recognition of it being a part of her body or of me. I could only stop her with a pillow or animal handling gloves and then there appeared to be a down time where she came back to herself.

KLSSN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, no. And I only rent so I cannot really build anything...he watches life outside and sometimes appears stressed he cannot get out, this impacts on his level of agitation, I think
It definitely does.
You can always get or build a window catio (step to build one ⟩ Window Catio (Cat Patio))
FFZ8S8DJXIU1T20.jpg

And if ever one day you move somewhere with a balcony, I highly suggest to build a catio. I did mine by myself, super easy and since then my cats aren't misbehaving anymore (one of mine used to act exactly like what you described).
To all cat owners, I recommend it and I can help on how to build it without any damages. :)
Here is my cats little paradise
IMG_20220723_102414.jpg
IMG_20220713_143441.jpg
IMG_20220604_122143.jpg