Feline Blockage on Urinary Tract

anxiousCatlover24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow Cat lovers! We just visited the vet twice due to my pet cat's inability to urinate. Catheterization wasn't possible and the xray shows my pet has stones (sand like small sediments was found on the urethra that causes blockage). To relieve pressure on the bladder, our vet performed cystocentesis and advised us for surgery to remove the stones in his bladder. His Creatinine is so high( 12.1 mg/dl). But she prescribed us medications like Nephroflush 1 tab 2x a day for 14 days, Nefrotec 1 tab 2x aday for 7days, Co-amoxiclav 156.25 mg/5ml, 2.5ml twice a day for 7days. Now, I don't know if I should push through the surgery or try the medications first for a week and see if it improves my cat's condition. Help me, I badly needed your advise especially to those who have encountered the same situation. I don't want to loose my beloved Tobby. If there are any better options other than surgery, I would gladly consider it if it is proven effective. As much as possible, I didn't want my cat to go through invasive procedures that will endanger his life. Please help me. Below, I attached a photo of his xray result. His other blood test are normal, except for his creatinine level.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The medications will help, but they are temporary, mostly to get him through until the surgery. If he is prone to crystals, they will almost certainly recur, leaving you in a cycle where he is miserable about half the time. I've never had it done to my cats, being partial to queens, but...IF I had a tom or gib (the actual term for a neutered tom), I would certainly opt for the surgery, and as soon as possible. Almost all cats do well with it, and have a complete recovery with few, if any, remaining issues. A VERY few can have problems with controlling urine dribbling, but that is easily taken care of with stud pants.

BTW...I generally refer to ALL males as toms. Don't want to hurt their feelings, LOL!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona herself had bladder stones which never lead to a blockage, but did result in one UTI after another. When we discovered the stones I immediately allowed the surgery. She was 9 at the time and had no complications and lived for another 7 years, not passing from any bladder related condition.

I lost two feral males to a blockage; they were TNRed but completely wild and I could not get them trapped again no matter what I tried. With a male I would definitely consider the surgery and not rely on the meds for a cure. I do understand that you might have concerns about this, such as Tobby's age (?) or other medical conditions, but I consider blockages in males to be a real hot potato condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anxiousCatlover24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The medications will help, but they are temporary, mostly to get him through until the surgery. If he is prone to crystals, they will almost certainly recur, leaving you in a cycle where he is miserable about half the time. I've never had it done to my cats, being partial to queens, but...IF I had a tom or gib (the actual term for a neutered tom), I would certainly opt for the surgery, and as soon as possible. Almost all cats do well with it, and have a complete recovery with few, if any, remaining issues. A VERY few can have problems with controlling urine dribbling, but that is easily taken care of with stud pants.

BTW...I generally refer to ALL males as toms. Don't want to hurt their feelings, LOL!

Hi! Thank you for your response! I gave the medications to my cat and I don't know if it helped him a little. right now he doesn't leave the litter box and straining to urinate with no output at all. I am afraid for the invasive procedure and I dont know what to do

anxiousCatlover24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fiona herself had bladder stones which never lead to a blockage, but did result in one UTI after another. When we discovered the stones I immediately allowed the surgery. She was 9 at the time and had no complications and lived for another 7 years, not passing from any bladder related condition.

I lost two feral males to a blockage; they were TNRed but completely wild and I could not get them trapped again no matter what I tried. With a male I would definitely consider the surgery and not rely on the meds for a cure. I do understand that you might have concerns about this, such as Tobby's age (?) or other medical conditions, but I consider blockages in males to be a real hot potato condition.
Tobby is just 1 year and 4months. Despite giving him the medications, there's still no urine output and he seems weak and doesn't leave the litter box

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to see the vet, he might be blocked again. Some cats it's just genetics, some it's food. You wanna make sure you are only feeding non fish wet food 3-4 times a day or urinary food.

Grayson’s Mummy Julia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Grayson has suffered with UTI most of his life. Once we got him on the mend we now swear by using a prescription food that stops the crystals from forming. I’m not sure whereabouts in the world you live. We are in the U.K. and use Hills Urinary Prescription food and it has changed his life! More expensive than regular food but worth every penny. Please ask your vet to recommend a brand to you.
We are praying for you, please keep us posted ❤❤

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Thank you for your response! I gave the medications to my cat and I don't know if it helped him a little. right now he doesn't leave the litter box and straining to urinate with no output at all. I am afraid for the invasive procedure and I dont know what to do
You MUST go back to the vet IN THE MORNING! Or ER vet, if he cannot urinate. I know what an expense it is, but his bladder could very well rupture before Monday, and that's a long, miserable death sentence. It really can't wait.

anxiousCatlover24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You MUST go back to the vet IN THE MORNING! Or ER vet, if he cannot urinate. I know what an expense it is, but his bladder could very well rupture before Monday, and that's a long, miserable death sentence. It really can't wait.
I already went to the vet just this morning, they did another xray and didn't found any stones, but his bladder is distended and so they performed again cystocentesis to relieve pressure in the bladder. After that the vet prescribed the same medications for Tobby, this time a higher dose of antibiotic is given. Now my problem is he can't still urinate. They didn't advise anything aside from performing the cystocentesis and the medications. I'm wprried that if i give him fluids, hus bladder will be distended again and it would give discomfort to him. Help me, what should I do now? His Creatinine is in 17mg/dl and it's too high, the vet said it will just go back to normal after a week. I don't know what to do after this.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing you can do, other than finding another vet who MAY be more proactive, is to take him in every other day when he cant pee, and have the vet empty his bladder. I would really consider having this PU surgery sooner rather than later. It will be less stress on him in the long run, I promise.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a male cat that kept getting stones. Surgery was always our choice and the longer you wait, the worse it gets. Bladder can only expand so much before it bursts/leaks and can kill the cat. Plus the pain the cat is in until the pressure is relieved.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He had stones on Friday, so did they not appear this time? Regardless of anything the vet is saying, inability to urinate is something that you have to respond to by continually going back to the vet or moving on to another vet or determining what needs to be done. It will stay a permanent emergency until it is resolved.