Feeling torn over switching catfood brands...

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I'm really torn right now about switching my cat's diet. Her name is Buttercup and she is 10 years old and strictly indoor. A few years ago, I transitioned her to a grain free diet due to skin and coat problems and she hasn't had any issues since. She had a week long episode of loose stool while she was being fed Wellness Signature canned food. That resolved when I started her on Weruva. Also, Instinct raw boost dry gave her some soft stool (very stinky, too), but she really liked it. She had the same issue when I fed her the Instinct rabbit canned food. Currently, she is fed wet catfood in the morning and evening, with dry food throughout the day as a snack. I feed her the Weruva Slide N Serve pouches as her wet food and Natural Balance LID Green Pea & Salmon as her dry. Lately, she hasn't been too crazy over the Weruva. Im not sure if shes tiring of the flavor or if shes trying to tell me that she needs a different formula. She's still eating the Natural Balance dry, but I don't like the fact that the first ingredient is green peas instead of meat. I've been reading over many other posts about catfood here (what is good, what isn't, etc etc) and am really wanting to make the right choice as to what to feed her, but I feel slightly overwhelmed. Does anyone have any suggestions for both wet and dry food brands? I saw Fancy Feast and TikiCat mentioned quite a bit as a wet food choice, but would like to know what anyone who has read this would recommend. Thank you in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats do get bored so its best to have alot of different food on stock. I mean you would get bored to if you had to eat the same food every meal lol. Check out catfooddb.com for info on a ton of brands :)
Thank you, I'll check it out. Is it ok to rotate between different brands/flavors of wet food? I know not to abruptly switch dry.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I always recommend Merrick Backcountry and Natural Balance, Blue Wilderness, fancy feast pate, Miko, Red Barn and Kasiks.

Is it ok to rotate between different brands/flavors of wet food?
We do here in this house for Poppy-cat :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl really likes Crave brand wet food. It’s at the higher end of protein content 12% and it comes in a number of flavors. Reading the label from a Chicken and beef pack, the first six ingredients are Chicken, Chicken liver, chicken broth, chicken heart and beef and natural flavor.

As far as dry, best to read labels, look for higher protein without high fat and buy a few for her to try. I buy Beyond and Rachel Ray Nutrish.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I always recommend Merrick Backcountry and Natural Balance, Blue Wilderness, fancy feast pate, Miko, Red Barn :) and Kasiks
Thank you :) Would those brands be for the dry or wet or both (obvs Fancy Feast is wet).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both, depending on what all you're looking for. I have Merrick and Natural Balance wet, and Blue Wilderness kibble :thumbsup:

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl really likes Crave brand wet food. It’s at the higher end of protein content 12% and it comes in a number of flavors. Reading the label from a Chicken and beef pack, the first six ingredients are Chicken, Chicken liver, chicken broth, chicken heart and beef and natural flavor.
Thanks for sharing :) I have never used any Crave products before, so I'll check it out.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed a lot of brands because my girl gets bored so easily. Her main foods she really likes are Sheba, Weruva Slide N Serve, and Chewy's American Journey and Tiny Tiger. I also give her Fancy Feast pate, Instinct, Crave, Wellness Core Tiny Tasters, Soulistic, and even Friskies if she'll take it! If something is on sale I grab a couple cans to add into the mix.

For dry I do Wysong Epigen 90, but I also really like Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein (unfortunately she doesn't!).

I'm not too picky with wet food, but do prefer grain free and a low to no amount of veggies/fruit. Dry food I try to avoid foods that have more than one carb source high on the list (why do they need BOTH peas and potatoes??)

This you may find helpful also

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bottom line is finding food with as low carbs as possible and remembering "grain-free" is a marketing ploy. All they do is replace grainy carbs with starchy carbs. ALL ARE CARBS. So it might be a start in the right mindset but it is still not great. Use catinfo.org or that catfood database someone linked to above to find LOW CARB cat canned cat foods.

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed a lot of brands because my girl gets bored so easily. Her main foods she really likes are Sheba, Weruva Slide N Serve, and Chewy's American Journey and Tiny Tiger. I also give her Fancy Feast pate, Instinct, Crave, Wellness Core Tiny Tasters, Soulistic, and even Friskies if she'll take it! If something is on sale I grab a couple cans to add into the mix.

For dry I do Wysong Epigen 90, but I also really like Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein (unfortunately she doesn't!).

I'm not too picky with wet food, but do prefer grain free and a low to no amount of veggies/fruit. Dry food I try to avoid foods that have more than one carb source high on the list (why do they need BOTH peas and potatoes??)

This you may find helpful also

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients
Thank you so much for the info and the link. It all helps me a lot, especially knowing that other cat parents feed a variety of wet foods. I had been sticking to Weruva only and chances are my baby girl is getting tired of it. I'm still undecided between a few different dry brands, once I narrow it down I'm sure hoping she will like what I choose :)

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the info and the link. It all helps me a lot, especially knowing that other cat parents feed a variety of wet foods. I had been sticking to Weruva only and chances are my baby girl is getting tired of it. I'm still undecided between a few different dry brands, once I narrow it down I'm sure hoping she will like what I choose :)
Sometimes companies will send you samples or at least coupons to try out their foods :) Just send them an email!

catamarandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats do get bored so its best to have alot of different food on stock. I mean you would get bored to if you had to eat the same food every meal lol. Check out catfooddb.com for info on a ton of brands :)
Thank you so much for the suggestion of the catfood database! I've been finding it so helpful and have spent quite a bit of time doing research on it since you shared the link 😁