Feeling Really Down About My Cat Allergies...

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I've posted about my cat allergies here before. I'm not asking for allergy advice because I've pretty much done everything there is (medicine, vacuuming, not letting my cat into my room etc).
Basically, I've become severely allergic to my poor cat (the insides of my nose swell up and I can't breathe), and now I have to wear a surgical mask around the house so that I don't get allergies. So, basically, with the surgical mask, we found a way to keep him despite my allergies (it would really, really break my heart if I had to give him up) and I know I should be grateful that I still have him, but I really miss not being allergic to him.
I miss not having to remember to wash my hands after every time I cuddle him, I miss not having to use a lint remover after every time he rubs against my clothes, and I really miss not having to wear a surgical mask around him, and most of all, I really, really miss having him in my room at night and hearing him purring on the bed next to me. I could really use some encouragement and perspective from you guys right now...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I found out I had allergies to cats and dogs after I already had both. I couldn't possibly think of parting with either of them so did my best, just as you have, to limit the allergens. Fortunately I did not need shots but is that an option for you? I know others who are allergic to cats sometimes require shots.

I'm sorry you miss the things you long for with him. Sending special thoughts your way :vibes::vibes::vibes:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too, found out after already having 2 cats that I was allergic.
I was offered allergy shots but that is a large commitment of time which I lack. So, now I am on a regiment of a new antihistamine, a nasal spray, a new inhaler (Breo, fantastic), and eye drops if needed. FYI, I'm also allergic to many other things as it turns out; trees, grass, pollen, etc., which you might be as well.
The thing that made a big difference for both myself and my husband was buying an air purifier for our bedroom. I don't mean one of those under $100 ones you see sold in Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'm mean a serious, hospital quality air purifier, recommended by my allergist. We choose The Rabbit Air, "Minus 2". Very sleek, modern appearance is a plus. It's pricey, I have to be honest but from the first day both of us stopped being stuffed up while sleeping and stopped snorning also. There is so much less dust and dander build up in the room also. We liked the results to much we bought another one for our living area. The Minus 2 can be customized with various pre-filters (there are 5 total in the machine if I remember correctly). We use the pet dander filter - obviously!
You sound like you've taken all other measures so my suggestion is if you can afford it, get an air purifier. I know 2 other people that have one and all report similar good results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll look into the Rabbit Air!
I too, found out after already having 2 cats that I was allergic.
I was offered allergy shots but that is a large commitment of time which I lack. So, now I am on a regiment of a new antihistamine, a nasal spray, a new inhaler (Breo, fantastic), and eye drops if needed. FYI, I'm also allergic to many other things as it turns out; trees, grass, pollen, etc., which you might be as well.
The thing that made a big difference for both myself and my husband was buying an air purifier for our bedroom. I don't mean one of those under $100 ones you see sold in Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'm mean a serious, hospital quality air purifier, recommended by my allergist. We choose The Rabbit Air, "Minus 2". Very sleek, modern appearance is a plus. It's pricey, I have to be honest but from the first day both of us stopped being stuffed up while sleeping and stopped snorning also. There is so much less dust and dander build up in the room also. We liked the results to much we bought another one for our living area. The Minus 2 can be customized with various pre-filters (there are 5 total in the machine if I remember correctly). We use the pet dander filter - obviously!
You sound like you've taken all other measures so my suggestion is if you can afford it, get an air purifier. I know 2 other people that have one and all report similar good results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement and tips, guys. I'm not looking for allergy advice but encouragement and perspective for my situation. It's really getting me down...

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi W wombat . I'm sorry to hear about your allergies. Pet allergies are the worst, especially for animal lovers. I hope that you are able to find something that works for you, not just for your kitty's sake, but for your own health and happiness. Keep your chin up and let us know how it goes! :alright:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I'll look into the Rabbit Air!
The other one suggested by my doctor is Blue Air. That one isn't as sleek, but is also high quality. It is, however, somewhat less money. We picked the Rabbit because we wanted it to not be as noticeable. Good luck!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly question, but are there clothes out there designed to not attract or hold onto pet hair? If not I'm surprised no one has come up with them yet. I was going to say that would be something you could do around the how to avoid so much lint-rolling.

I know this might not an option for you, or you would have done it, but one of my clients apparently developed very bad allergies also after having her two kitties. So they moved to a place where they basically turned the entire basement into a cat room. There is an enclosed upstairs space they can go to so they can see the owners, and the wife can go downstairs for limited amounts of time. Obviously, it's not ideal, but it was something that worked for them.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could offer more along the lines of perspective - I'm not allergic, at least not to my cats (I suspect some cats trigger an allergy though at the shelter and also with my clients). I think it's great that you are trying everything you can and didn't dump your cat at the first sign of an allergy like so many folks do. See it a lot at the shelter.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I too have heard good things about HEPA room air purifiers . But they are expensive - $350. / $500 . I understand the bedroom is usually the best location.
I sometimes rinse my sinuses with saline . Cheap ! I also upgraded my AC intake filter and run the fan often.
Best wishes to you ! :wink:`