Feeling defeated!

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. So my mother cat gave birth to a dead baby early sunday morning around 1:45am, she still hasn't had anymore kittens. I took her to the vet yesterday and they said there are still 7 live babies inside. They said that she may need c-section if she doesn't deliver soon. Has anyone had anything similar happen? If she has a c-section what are the possibilities of any of the babies surviving? They said she is having some discharge this morning so they are hopeful she will go back into labour.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to feel defeated. This happens, and most cats go back into labor in 2-3 days and deliver normally. She’s got a big litter coming!

A C-section is needed when a cat has been in labor but cannot push the kittens out. It’s called dystocia. Your cat is not experiencing this. Her body should go back into labor when it and the remaining kittens are ready. If not, vets usually first give a shot of oxytocin to stimulate labor before resorting to surgery.

You’ll want to get a can of powdered kitten formula on hand (any brand but Hartz), and a small, needleless syringe (1-2 mLs), in case you need to supplement any runts since it’s a big litter. So while you wait, gather supplies and check out these links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Also, plan to spay your cat when her kittens are 8 weeks old, and do not let her out or around intact males until she is spayed.

Do keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I'm actually fostering her at the moment but we all love her as if she were ours. She will most definitely be spayed after this. I'm hoping for a happy ending.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was the dead kitten fully done? Or visibly premature?

While you wait, be sure she gets calcium rich food. Whatever she eates or is willing to drink. Goats milk is good, or a good kmr, or full fat yoghurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megswith3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten did seem a little small to me. Looked developed just tiny.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten did seem a little small to me. Looked developed just tiny.
OK. Or slightly premature. this increases the chance the others will mature on their own, and be delivered in their natural time.

I wont deny, the situation is touchy. But we have seen a cesarean is often problematic for the kittens - not only if they are cesarean premature.
So, the balance of chances and risks, unless momma clearly needs the surgery, its usually best to wait them out to be delivered.