feel so guilty

Karen77ab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My boy Luke died on May 31. He was my whole world and I feel like I failed him. He was 15 and had a lot of medical problems but he enjoyed life. He had diabetes and bad arthritis and was on meds for both of them. He had problems with constipation for years as well and had been on Cisapride and a stool softener for a long time.

His constipation was getting worse over the last several months. His Cisapride was compounded at a pharmacy and needed to be refrigerated. A month before he died, I called for a refill for his Cisapride and the delivery driver who was not with the pharmacy took longer than usual to bring it to me. The medication is in a sleeve to protect it from light and was kept in a paper bag on top of that. It usually took 20-30 minutes for delivery but this time, it took almost an hour. I had this little voice in my head that told me to get a new medication just in case but I didn’t listen. I wonder if having the medication out of the fridge, but still in the sleeve and the paper bag, for an extra 20-30 minutes would have made it go bad or be less effective?

Luke ate the medication fine but a week after starting this medication, he got constipated and needed an enema at the vet. After this, he did really well for 4-5 days, had great bowel movements and I thought everything was fine. Then he didn’t have a bowel movement for a couple days. I was relieved when he pooped and thought things would be alright as this happened to him often sometimes. But then after that, he didn’t go for a couple days and we fell into a long weekend. I would have taken him to the vet sooner but they were closed over the long weekend. I messaged the pharmacy and asked for a new refill. I messaged and called them like 5-6 times before they got back to me and got me a new refill. In the meantime, I took Luke in as soon as the vet opened after the long weekend and they gave him another enema. Three days later, I took him for another one, his third in a couple weeks. After that, he stopped eating completely. I called the emergency vet as this was on a weekend and he said he would only do comfort measures where Luke was 15. First thing Monday morning, I took him back to his usual vet and they ran bloodwork which found he had pancreatitis. They put him on iv fluids and admitted him. On Wednesday afternoon, he was doing much better and the vet told me I could take him home Thursday after he had some more iv fluids. Wednesday night, the vet called and told me he had a heart attack and died.

I am so devastated. I wish with all my heart that I had gotten him a new refill when I first had a bad feeling. He had been having chronic problems with his bowels before this but things got worse after he got the refill. I work with doctors (human) and they said it shouldn’t have made that big of a difference if the medication was out of the fridge for an hour but I wonder if they are just being nice. He was older and had a lot of health problems but I can’t help but think that if I had done things differently, he might have had a few extra months. I wish I could have helped his last few weeks be easier at least if nothing else.

I’m so lost and life is not the same without him. I wish I could feel like this wasn’t my fault.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are often very hard on ourselves due to the heartache of caring for sick pets, because we love them so much.

I lost a cat at a very young age, my first pet ever, and that was about one year and a half ago now. I often think about him and about how I could have done things differently to gain him some time.

In the end, though, I like to think of something that my dad has said to me many times, specially when I get anxious about my cat's health problems: nature runs its course. We interfere, and we do all we can, because we care, and we want to have them around. But when they start getting old, or dependant on medication and constant interventions, and you can tell they're tired, nature has a way of nudging us to let them rest.

You did what you could for your little guy. Based on the amount of care you've described in your post, things that he needed, it seems like you dedicated time to making sure he was comfortable, so I'll infer he had a good life with you. Please don't think of his passing as if he was robbed of time - you gave him more time here with your care than he would have had without you. He's a part of you and that's never going to change... think of him with peace. He'll always be a part of you. ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Karen77ab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are often very hard on ourselves due to the heartache of caring for sick pets, because we love them so much.

I lost a cat at a very young age, my first pet ever, and that was about one year and a half ago now. I often think about him and about how I could have done things differently to gain him some time.

In the end, though, I like to think of something that my dad has said to me many times, specially when I get anxious about my cat's health problems: nature runs its course. We interfere, and we do all we can, because we care, and we want to have them around. But when they start getting old, or dependant on medication and constant interventions, and you can tell they're tired, nature has a way of nudging us to let them rest.

You did what you could for your little guy. Based on the amount of care you've described in your post, things that he needed, it seems like you dedicated time to making sure he was comfortable, so I'll infer he had a good life with you. Please don't think of his passing as if he was robbed of time - you gave him more time here with your care than he would have had without you. He's a part of you and that's never going to change... think of him with peace. He'll always be a part of you. ❤
thank you. He got me through cancer, deaths, breakups and the pandemic. I love him so much and miss him terribly. We had a special bond and he was everything to me.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You and luke will always be together, Your memories are strong and your love. It's been 2 years and I still will weep on recalling my batman.

Karen77ab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You and luke will always be together, Your memories are strong and your love. It's been 2 years and I still will weep on recalling my batman.
thank you and sorry for your loss of Batman

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so lost and life is not the same without him. I wish I could feel like this wasn’t my fault.
Everything is still fresh in your mind but given time hopefully you will come to accept that Luke's passing was not your fault. If anything you gave him a long, warmhearted life at 15 y.o. 🤗 I think we often look back and analyze what we could have done differently, I know I've done that too but I also know I did everything I could to give our pets a happy and forever home. My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:

Karen77ab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything is still fresh in your mind but given time hopefully you will come to accept that Luke's passing was not your fault. If anything you gave him a long, warmhearted life at 15 y.o. 🤗 I think we often look back and analyze what we could have done differently, I know I've done that too but I also know I did everything I could to give our pets a happy and forever home. My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you. :hugs:
thank you!