Feel insecure on whether or not my cat likes me.

mfoehrer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is definitely an insecurity thing for me, but wanted to post anyway because I want my cat to be happy no matter what.

I got her at 7 weeks old and she is almost 2. When I first got her I had a roommate with two cats. I always fed her and played with her. She's always been pretty confident and independent as a kitten and was fine being off on her own. She's never been super needy. She likes to be pet and will usually come to whichever room I am in and start meowing at me to play with her. Which I usually do.

She would sleep on the bed with me for a while at night before going to the living room to lay on the cat tower. Which is her favorite spot. However all that being said I do wonder if I'm her favorite person. Even though I'm the only person with her in the house now.

She would often flop in front of my roommate when he got home. Not all the time, but she would never do that in front of me when I got home. She always did it to strangers as well. She only started to flop over in front of me once my roommate moved out.

Recently I went to stay with my old roommate for a few days and my cat was nervous at first, like she understandably would be, but after a day I noticed she jumped up and laid in front of him on his keyboard and was super friendly. Rolling over in front of him. She's been friendly and needy with me here as well, but hasn't done something like that while we were there. It's just small things like that that make me wonder if I've never been her favorite person. I'm super happy that she is very sociable with others, but I did feel a little hurt when I think she may be happier with a different owner.

She's also never been food oriented, mostly play. She has always bothered me to come play with her and only did that to him if I wasn't home. She will also come yell at me around bedtime. I don't think she had ever done that to him when we lived together, but again. I'm easily jealous and insecure about things. I never show it though and never force affection to my cat. I just let her be and come to me for the most part. Unless she needs to be brushed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are overthinking things. As you said, you lean toward being insecure and easily jealous, so I am guessing you are letting these thngs play with your head and your thoughts. She sounds like most any cat her age that is healthy, confident, and pretty independent. She sounds happy to me, and she is just being who she is.

Relish in these times, as when she gets older and more mellow and less secure with age, you will probably miss these days.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's behavioural signs you'd be seeing if your cat was unhappy, like not eating normally, possibly litter box avoidance issues, etc.

So though she sounds like she behaving like a normal cat, and I'm pretty such she likes you, TCS does have this article which might have some tips to help her like you even more. :catlove:
14 Cat Experts Reveal - How To Get A Cat To Like Me - TheCatSite