Feeding strategies while away/on vacation

alewifebp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So eventually I'm going to either be away for business or go on vacation, which has been more or less wishful thinking these past few months. My new cat also was adopted right as the quarantine started, so he only knows me being home all day long, so I've been able to feed him wet food 3-4 times a day. So, here's the problem. He's also a scarf and barf type of cat with dry food. Normally with my cats I would have the cat sitter put in dry food during the daily visit, but given this situation, that won't be possible. Neither can I have the sitter come 3-4 times a day.

What are some options suggested? I guess I could get a timed feeder that can give him small portions throughout the day.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start trying to get him used to very small portions of dry food ahead of time. Just a handful of dry at a time and slowly increase over time. If he was a feral or stray, having food available outside meant survival depended on scarfing while it was available. My ferals eventually learned that food was always available and stopped scarfing but it took time. I filled them up with wet food and then offered some dry. I would encourage having someone continue the wet food if you are away because the cat needs the extra hydration of wet food and the human attention. Having someone stay there with him could be a solution. I never leave my cats alone if I am away. A timed feeder for dry could be a good idea now anyway. Boarding is something I only do if a cat needs medication or I have no other option but I have only done that once with a sick kitty and it was with a very trusted vet. Some services only have someone come in to feed during weekends so not the best for kitty. I keep a dish of dry food available at all times now. No one scarfs anymore. They tend to graze. Lol It takes time for a cat to trust the source of food will not go away but some cats do tend to scarf anyway. If the cat is youg, feeding often is very important. As it gets older, two to three feedings a day will be okay as long as enough good food is consumed and retained. Again, wet food is important for helping with hydration so continuing that is a good idea.
If you want to help kitty adjust to being home alone some, it would be a good idea to take a walk, drive or go to a safe park or somewhere you can spend a little time away from the house. You might also consider getting a second kitty! ;) Thanks for adopting! Especially during a time when it has been very tough for rescues and shelters!

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest a timed feeder that will dispense small portions throughout the day.

Also, see if you can find a sitter to either stay in your home or come at least twice a day. I'd have no issues with wet food being out for 12 hours at a time.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the catmate c20 timed feeder. I freeze portions of wet food in advance and then pop them into the timed feeder when heading out the door. It also has a compartment for an ice pack but I still prefer to freeze the food in advance. It defrosts by the time the lid opens.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I'm away I have my sister stop in twice a day. I freeze portions of food ahead of time, so when she comes by she sets out one fresh portion of food to eat now directly from the can, and then a frozen portion to eat later. That way my cat still gets 4 meals a day.