Feeding Cat Cooked Chicken Daily with Wet Cat Food

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I recued a stray kitten a few months back. He is very active and a big eater. We started to feed
him cooked chicken (boiled with no seasoning) along with his wet food. He is getting plenty of nutrients from wet food (about 1.5 cans a day) and some dry food as well. He eats a lot ! We give him cooked chicken (about a tablespoon) along with his wet food daily.
Our Louie is very interested in what my wife and I eat all the time. I suppose living out in the wild and starving for 6 months
forced him to eat what ever he could find.
The chicken seems to satisfy him and makes him content. Curious what you all think.

Thanks

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
FYI. I have a 18 year old cat who goes thru spells of not eating so there are times I boil boneless chicken with no spices etc added and she will eat some….if your cat is also eating can/dry besides I wouldn’t think there should be an issue.
I will also give my cat some cooked ham on occasion, as long as she eats and everything is in moderation

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cooked chicken would be considered a treat since it's not actually 100% nutritionally complete for a cat (lacking organ meat and calcium). For treats, it is recommended not to feed more than 15% of their daily intake. But you could actually add supplements to it to make it complete, then he could eat all he wants. We have a forum for homecooked meals here that might be helpful: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I frequently used to let Lily have plain poultry or fish. Sometimes sweet potato or other safe foods as well. Just a small amount. If I were to season mine, I would keep a price plain and cooking on the side, since it was usually oven dishes.

It did cause begging, quite like a dog. But that's cat dependant.

It was never much of her diet but it did make her happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vvicin01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually only give Louie about a tablespoon of cooked chicken breast (baked or broiled and no seasoning) along with his wet food. It is about 17-20 calories for that amount and he seems to enjoy it. I am not concerned about him not getting the nutrients since he eats plenty of wet and dry cat food - almost too much...lol. I tried raw food once but he had no interest. It is funny, we had three cats at one time and my wife and I never had any issues like this. I think when you adopt kittens they are feed cat food and not human food like cats in the wild. I really appreciate all the feed back, it is really helpful. We had a female cat that we loved that passed away some time ago and she was really over weight. I guess I fear that with this little guy of ours.