Fear Of Hands

Getfuzzy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All!

I posted a few months back about 2 feral kittens I brought in they. They were 4 months old when I got them, so they are about 8 months now. They are doing great! Their tails are starting to go up (and stay up!) when we play, or when they are in their room alone. I have been listening/reading/watching Jackson Galaxy's advice on cats and soaking as much in as possible. I know it will take the kittens a while to fully come around (if at all), but they are still terrified of hands. Has anyone had any luck with getting their ferals to come around? I have tried the "meat gloves" Jackson recommended. That is letting finger-less gloves soak up the scent of roasted chicken and trying to get the kittens to take the food from my hand. I have also tried salmon. They will often walk up and sniff the food but then walk away and sit just out of arms length. I do not present hands during play time because I don't want them to think it's prey. I have tried the "cat handshake" but that usually leads to them staring at my hand like it's the most terrifying thing in the world. I have been trying everything I can over the past few weeks and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket was afraid of hands, she was a former feral too. I would get down on the ground and hold out one hand. She'd approach the hand and rub, then I could pet. In the beginning it could take several minutes for her to approach my hand. It took a good year to get to the point that it was just put out the hand and she ran over for a pet.

The next year and a little was spent getting from sitting on the floor petting, to sitting in a chair petting, to standing while petting. During that time I also worked on her letting me pet her outside. She's now three years old and I can pet her with one hand from sitting, standing (bending over) and when she is outside. She even does what we call typewriter pet where she moves around so we pet starting from the head to the tail, then she chirps before turning around so we are petting her head again.

I am now working on her letting me pet her with two hands at the same time. While my Dad is still working on her letting him pet her from a position other than him sitting. My Mom is working on being able to pet her outside. We each have a different comfort level for her.

It really is an extremely gradual process. Pushing their comfort just a little at a time. Being patient with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Getfuzzy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes, patience is definitely a must! I make myself look as small as possible and try not to get too close. I want them to be able to run if they get spooked. My one feral is very high strung, and is overwhelmed easily. He will put his ears down, eyes get big, and he will put his paw up like he is going to swat if you get a hand within a foot of him. He will not come within a foot of your hand no matter how good that treat smells! My girl feral is a little more laid back, but she spooks easily too. She will smell my hand and will eat a treat with my hand right next to it. She's just not keen on the idea of taking it from my hand.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Getfuzzy77 (and, a very belated welcome to TCS) !

Now, look here....this is becoming really....really...unfair !

All this advice you're getting........and....all we get is one measly picture of these two meezers...???

I mean...........c'mon :hyper:

:biggrin: