FCS kitten

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I noticed today that the first born of the 5 kittens (10 days old today) unfortunately have FCS, from a physical check, it seems to be quite severe - I’m not sure if the tip is going inwards or not, I’ve tried the methods of holding him up and press to see, also on the side, it’s very hard to say.

I’ve called our vet - who basically said if he’s otherwise normal, just observe and make sure he’s feeding, and give the mum added nutrition. They seem to think it’s normal to lose a kitten within first 3 weeks - or they’re too small to be treated?

He’s been gaining 10-13g weight daily, does not seem to have problem with feeding, but his beathing is a bit laboured and fast than his mates - that’s how I spotted the problem.

I’ve made him a vest as the previous post/thread recommended. It does not bother him and keeps him sleeping on the side.

I am worried sick and has been searching online, making calls, checking on him etc. I don’t really know what I’m asking here as I’ve gone through every single thread on FCS and know what to do. I think emotional support really… please help sending your prayers for the little guy.

Attached photo of him feeding with the vest on.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as the vest fits properly and you adjust it as the kitten grows, there is not much else you can do until he gets bigger, unless he has an infection and needs antibiotics. This is possible if he has any fluid in his lungs. You might want to get his lungs listened to and see if meds are appropriate.

Here is excellent information on this from Kitten Lady:

Pectus Excavatum in Kittens — Kitten Lady

Kitten Lady does recommend early intervention and surgery.

:vibes:Sending prayers!

Please do keep us posted!

Jj1008 Jj1008

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please explain what FCS is, so you will get more answers...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To all who don’t know - FCS is Flat Chest Syndrome, kitten’s lower ribs are flat, not in a normal oval shape.

I’ve read many many many articles, the cause is unknown. He was not born with it, but developed it on Day 9. I’ve read it’s the most important to ensure their nutrition supplement. I’ve bought taurine for the mom, and giving her lots of food, nutrition pastes etc to ensure her milk is good quality. The little’s gaining 11-14g every day, hopefullywill keep up with this pace.

I was worried the vest was too tight so loosen it a bit, he was able to get out of it 😳 just put it back on, he does not mind when it’s on, had fed and now soundly sleeping. Fingers crossed the vest will work and he’ll survive to be a healthy one.

Attachments

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update- the little one opened eyes yesterday! He continues to gain weight 8-10g per day, slower than his litter mates but steady.

I took the corset out to check on him, maybe just in my mind, but I think there’s a slight improvement - the ribs are still flat, but I can feel that they are not going inwards.

I’ve changed the vest to corset as he does not seem to mind having it on anyways. Shall I keep it on 24 hours or giving it a break for a few hours during the day?

I started to give the mom taurine supplement - 800-1000mg per day, how long should I keep giving this to her, any side effects?

I also want to move the kittens to another place - is it too early? The mom chose to give birth in our kitchen cabinet, which is not very accessible and quite high - the kittens have risks of falling off if they start to walk, I want to move them to a playpen.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would go ahead and move the kittens now so they are safe from falling.

It’s okay to give the kitten a break from the corset a few hours a day.

If the mom is eating wet and dry cat or kitten food as much as she wants, she should be getting adequate taurine. The usual supplement is 500mg’s per day. Continue to supplement her while she is nursing.

Jj1008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to move them (all of them) but the mom resist the change and take them back straightaway… shall I block the area so she cannot go back?

The kitty is doing well. But when I took the vest out today, I noticed that he’s got a small sunken hole around stomach when he sucks. So he’s got funnel chest, not flat chest.

I’ve done some literature review, and see for new born, a corset can still be worn to ensure they do not put extra pressure on the chest (but not to push it on the sides). So I created a new firmer corset in C shape, ensure it supports his chest when he lays on his belly, but do not press against the rib cage.

I hope he does not have a severe case of it and can grow out of it - our local vet don’t have experience in operating for this condition… I know some of the members have cats with this condition, any advice? Thx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would block the area. Make sure the new space is private. That is probably what mom is seeking.