Favorite dry food?

Jdutton24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm supplement my wet food with some dry. Not a big portion mainly wet. What do y'all recommend for dry food? Was thinking of tiki dry food, American journey, maybe wellness core,instinct with raw bites?? Was trying to stay away from potato tapioca starch but I've given up. Wysong seems nice but almost 6 bucks a pound so maybe depending on how much is eaten per week

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's CLeanProtein is probably the best dry food on the market, though it is pricey. If you can afford it, I would go with that.

I think I am going to start giving my cats the American Journey Turkey and Chicken for one of their meals. We're looking to cut some bills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jdutton24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems to have alot of meat in there for sure

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's CLeanProtein is probably the best dry food on the market, though it is pricey. If you can afford it, I would go with that.

I think I am going to start giving my cats the American Journey Turkey and Chicken for one of their meals. We're looking to cut some bills.
Agreed. IMO it's the best dry food on the market and the only one my very picky cats will eat. Amazon's price is better than Chewy's if you use subscribe and save.

mela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat. Male or female? Outdoor or indoor? In example, outdoor cats are more active than indoor ones so they tend to need more food or require food with a higher calorie count. However, if you have enough time to play with your indoor cat everyday, it will also help.

My friend Leia is an indoor cat and I fed my her Acana (Grasslands, Wild Prairie) and Orijen (Six Fish).Their foods are high calorie (40-42%) and ones with the most organic ingredients as far as I see. All of them are grain-free. But these brands have no product for spayed/neutered cats. You know their diet requires special attention. If your cat is sterilised, you have to be careful. Neutered male cats are more prone to experience kidney problems depending on their diets.

I always read the ingredients and look for the actual protein source. I never buy the ones with X flavour, Y flavour. etc...Instead, I buy the ones with X meat, dried Y meat or simply X, Y itself.

To be honest, I doubt any dry food can be favored. I think your priority should be health. There are weight/calorie calculators on the internet. You can use them and see what your needs most. Then it becomes easier to find a brand.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Best.

Jdutton24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I go grain free and try to have the first 3 ingredients meat. Try to stay away from potatoes and peas but nearly impossible so I try to make sure they are down the list.

Jdutton24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is an indoor cat.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
The best are Dr. Elsey’s, Young Again, Wysong Epogen 90, ZiwiPeak, and then TikiCat.

All are expensive but relatively calorie dense so they shouldn’t eat too much of it.

I’m not as familiar with midrange foods, but we feed American Journey (mostly duck, but others are fine too) and Purina Beyond Chicken and Egg to our ferals.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge love IAMs the most. Since they have been getting slightly overweight lately, they're currently on the low calorie version.