Fat Kitten 9 months

dayna rita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a couple of issues with my girl. Right now my 9 month old kitten Siouxsie "Waffles" (because she stole a waffles off my plate once)is fat. She's fixed. She doesn't go outside. She has all her shots. She does play & run around. I went away in December for a week and I came back and I was like WOW Waffles.. You're fat. And she is. She likes goes from bowl to bowl and eats. I adopted Waffles when she was 8 weeks old as a playmate for Pixel who is now a year and 5 months. They did love one another for a time, but I feel like as soon as Pixel turned like a year she was like "i'm too old to act like kitten all day". She just settled down. And I switched them out of kitten food shortly after because Pixel was putting on weight. We have another set of cats, who live separately now due to health issues - and being old and crotchety. She gets along with Pixel and the old cats, so she'll go back from forth between them. No issues. But I feel like she's only doing it to eat now - because the older cats have different food. I haven't given them any of their fancy feast since I got back form vacation but I think Waffles steals Pixels and then sleeps for like 2 days from food coma. This cat isn't just about cat food - She ate cookies on xmas on my dinning room table because the lid wasn't on correctly, she ate my step sons chipotle, she chew thought the bag and the Aluminum wrapper to eat the burrito. She chewed chip bags, she stole my waffles & a pancake that was on the counter. She's tried to eat the dog food. She actually will climb up u if you're standing and cooking anything chicken related. And if you open any bag or can - she's in the kitchen with you 1 second in. She's always trying to eat. She's been dewormed and everything. And 100% not pregnant. What should I do about this eating machine? Can someone suggest some filling food, maybe she'll stop eating like it's the last supper?

Next problem - We recused a little kitten he was approx 5 weeks old then he's 8 weeks -ish today. We call him Zeus. I found his brothers and sisters and him in the wood right next to my house when we were walking the dog. No mother in sight and it being 30 degree going down to the teens I bought the kittens inside and called the vet. Only Zeus made it the rest weren't really responsive when we got them to the vet. I really would like to keep him he's such a sweet boy. But 5 cats and a dog is a lot. Anyway he's been palling around with Waffles lately. He's also been nursing on her. She won't stop him. They both sit there and pur while she cleans him and he nurses. Waffles is fixed she's not producing milk, so now she has scabbed nipples. Every time I find them together I offer Zeus some kitten food, wet/dry but I think he's just doing this for comfort. But he's hurting her and she won't stop him. Now it's like when she's not being nursed from, she's eating. That's her life now. I'm worried about her. I've tried putting them in separate rooms. But Zeus just screams, he's screamed all night long - for 8 hours.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Next problem - We recused a little kitten he was approx 5 weeks old then he's 8 weeks -ish today. We call him Zeus. I found his brothers and sisters and him in the wood right next to my house when we were walking the dog. No mother in sight and it being 30 degree going down to the teens I bought the kittens inside and called the vet. Only Zeus made it the rest weren't really responsive when we got them to the vet. I really would like to keep him he's such a sweet boy. But 5 cats and a dog is a lot. Anyway he's been palling around with Waffles lately. He's also been nursing on her. She won't stop him. They both sit there and pur while she cleans him and he nurses. Waffles is fixed she's not producing milk, so now she has scabbed nipples. Every time I find them together I offer Zeus some kitten food, wet/dry but I think he's just doing this for comfort. But he's hurting her and she won't stop him. Now it's like when she's not being nursed from, she's eating. That's her life now. I'm worried about her. I've tried putting them in separate rooms. But Zeus just screams, he's screamed all night long - for 8 hours.
I think if you post this part of your post in the cat-behavior forum, you'll get a better response there as this has much to do with behavior than nutrition.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
My understanding is that kittens need to eat a lot and should be allowed to self-regulate. I am not personally a fan of kibble, so instead of telling you to leave it available at all times, I am going to tell you that I offer my kibble-free 6 month old wet food 3-5 times a day and try to let her eat as much as she wants.

My kitten eats a lot. She is stocky and big and looks more like a British Shorthair than an American Shorthair. I can post a picture of her later and it might help the nutrition experts if you could post a picture of Waffles.

What I noticed in your post is that Waffles is going after human food that isn't species-appropriate. Baked goods aren't poison or anything, but cats don't need grain and they can't digest it very well. Willow does the same thing because her mom was an abandoned pet and who knows what she was able to find to eat and feed her kids before she was lucky enough to be accepted into an established colony of ferals.

If this is Waffles' issue, then it is unfortunately very common (in humans as well as felines) and is more like PTSD than physiological hunger. Willow gets a free pass for bad manners when she grabs something off my plate, but I try to avoid eating in front of her whenever possible.

Food insecurity can and does lead to obesity.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wasn't clear about whether or not Waffles started this eating frenzy with the arrival of Zeus or not - but, it seemed like that might be the case? She may just be the type of cat that reacts to life/environmental changes by wanting to eat as consolation. If she truly is fat for her age, then taking her off kitten food is a reasonable approach given she is 9 months old already.

But, you might also consider chip-operated feeders to stop Waffles from eating everybody else's food. Are you feeding all the cats dry food or wet, or both? Just makes a difference on what your options are in terms of how to limit Waffles access to the other cats' food. And, by all means, make sure she cannot get access to human food at all.

Getting her some automated, interactive toys might also be an option to help divert her attention from food. And, there are puzzle toys that you can put a couple of dry morsels of food into so that she has something to play with while she tries to go after the food in them.

With Zeus, you need to buy a substitute toy/blanket that you can help him to convert to when he wants to suckle. There are a few pillows on the market that actually have faux nipples on them that you could try. Or, you could start with a wool type sock/small blanket and re-direct him to that when he starts to try to nurse from Waffles. If Waffles will tolerate it, you could also put a baby-onesie (they also sell similar onesies for cats) on her so that Zeus can't nurse from her.

If Waffles eating is related to adding Zeus to your family, once things settle down a bit and Zeus gets a bit older, Waffles will hopefully revert back to being less obsessed with food.

Last edited:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I would leave bowls of food out all day for the cats to eat when they want to. This just asks for trouble with weight management. Small portions throughout the day are more ideal and canned is much much better then dry as well as more filling (which you asked about) do to it being higher in proteins and fat than in carbs and filler ingredients.

You do not WANT fillers you want better quality canned food high in protein to fill her up properly. Just to clarify.