Farting

Cookie dough

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had our kitten cookie for 3 weeks now and had issues with diorrea all that time and various vets visits. Things have started improving today (thanks to the poster who suggested pumpkin). Anyway today she's had a few accidents but not half as many as usual and poo has been soft but formed several times!! Never thought I'd be so happy to see cat poo! BUT now she keeps farting and it smells like the worst thing ever! Her poos don't even smell as bad as the farts! It also scares her and dumps the smell and then she runs off. I've googled and some sited say cats don't fart. LIES.

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear she's improving. Have you tried her on a different formulation of food? Perhaps she's intolerant of one of the ingredients?

I heard Chloe fart once so far but it was sans odour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cookie dough

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's on Ava kitten. She's only been on it since last Monday so a week so don't want to change it just yet as maybe a week isn't long enough to get use to it? Also her poos have only just improved so don't want to rock the boat...its been a long 3 weeks of cleaning 😫

patoriku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give a bit of time and see how it goes. It seems the pumpkin and new food have improved things. Maybe the previous food caused the issues.

A friend of mine fosters sick cats for the local shelter. She had a pair of kittens which I was going to adopt but they had the runs and she had to give them a certain type of food for it to stop. They had some digestive issues that were dealt with by the vet. She couldn't say how long it would be before they could be adopted so I decided to take Chloe. Kittens tend to be adopted quicker than adult cats.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that her tummy is upset with the change in food from what she was eating before you adopted her. Also she could be allergic or intolerant of one of the ingredients. Was she dewormed?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently someone I know rescued a kitten from the street. He had worms and needed to get treated it with a dewormer twice in a week. One didn't kill all the worms, he still had some alive worms in his poop after the first dewormer. Anyway, his stools got firmer in about two weeks but he also farted quite a lot daily for a bit longer. It was unclear if the worms messed up with his gut bacteria or the dewormers. It got better, just took couple weeks.

Maybe your kitten also had/has issues with worms and/or having the effects of a dewormer.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago my cats welcomed a stray kitten to my home. He was half-starved and also had this problem, farting on our laps! But once he'd been properly dewormed it cleared up immediately.