Fading Kitten

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other than keeping kitten warm and sugar water to boost blood sugar are there any other tips/tricks to help fading kitten?

I woke up yesterday morning to find one of seven, 5 day old kittens was lethargic, gums pale and had lost 9 grams over night. Previously the kitten was active and gaining between 10 to 15 grams per day.

I immediately wrapped her in a towel, and placed on a warm rice filled bag. I tried to stimulate her and gave her sugar water which would perk her up for a few seconds, but not enough . By the time I got ahold of my vet and warmed up enough rice bags for transport (its was a blizzard here yesterday), she had passed on in my husband's arms.

This isn't our first litter, but it is the first time we have lost a kitten that wasn't during birth. I did everything that I have read/been told you are supposed to do in that situation, but I am wondering if there are any other things that might be tried to give the kitten the best possible chance at survival?

SweetiePie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ameezers, so sorry to hear you lost one of your kittens. It sounds like you have experience with the cat birthing process so tough to give advice. Obviously, the first couple days of life are some of the hardest to overcome, especially when there are internal problems that are REALLY hard to detect. Even more so if the kitten was eating and gaining weight. I know that's not much help and really sorry.:(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry for the loss of your little one. You might want to ask your vet to teach you how to administer fluids and tube feed. With fading kittens the biggest thing is keep them going until they get over the problem or you have time to get more help. Being able to inject fluids to rehydrate or force feed when needed can buy you time. But both are things that are best learned at your vets office. Then you can keep some saline, needles, formula and tubing on hand for emergencies. Kitten Lady has some videos you might find informative, she specializes in neonatal kitten fostering,
Instructional Videos — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka that is a really good idea. My vet is pretty fantastic, so I am sure she would be more than happy to show me.

I know how to do the saline, as it is something I had to do for a cat years ago (however a refresher course would probably be a good idea).

Thanks so much for your reply.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you did was the most important. And often enough good! You could also try with massaging the little one. And pray! How much prayers really helps may be discussed, but they at least give YOU some help to endure the difficult moments.

If you are a rescuer or do often help weak kittens, these advices by Kieka are extra good.
Also, if you can get real glucose sugar / dextrose, is better than table sugar. But dextrose seems to be difficult to find in USA! Most USA rescuers use white Caro syrup, or honey. Common sugar works too, but proper glucose sugar / dextrose is best. Its also not very sweet, so you can add more than otherwise, if you so wish.
An IR heating lamp is useful too. for example, the kitten wont get chilled off while you feed it, or handle it...

Also, learn to slunging newborn kittens, if you have any suspicion they could get fluid into lungs during the birth.
Pneumonia caused by fluids in the lungs is probably the most common cause of death of healthy born kittens. If so, this takes often literally just hours. Healhy kitten when you go to work, dying or dead when you are back home...

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ what is slunging? Like suctioning?

It was honestly a huge surprise to me that this kitten ended up failing. She wasn't even on my radar to be honest. She had good gains and an excellent birth weight and seemed to be thriving the previous day, so it came as quite a shock.

I will be on the lookout now for glucose/dextrose sugar to add to my stash. I tried Honey initially, but then I second guess myself (I know your not supposed to feed honey to babies), I didn't really have time to google as I knew every second counted, so switched to regular sugar water just to be on the safe side.

We keep our bedroom where the kittens are kept pretty warm when we have them, and keep a pet heating pad over half the pen so they can use it as they please, but I will definitely look into an heat lamp just in case this happens again (hopefully it wont but I would rather have it and not need it then not have it and do!)

I am happy to say that all remaining kittens have been doing well! Everyone has now opened their eyes so they are becoming more and more adventurous with each passing day.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Slunging is, you make do a centrifuge, to slung out the fluids with the centripetal forces.

In practice: you take the kitten in your hand or hands, head and face out. Raise the straigh arm upwards, and quickly take the arm / arms in an round arc downwards.... The centripetal forces will slung the fluids from the lungs and air ways out...

You must train before, as its not entirely easy nor safe. If nothing else, its easy to drop the kitten...

Some breeders do so routinely with every kitten, most do it when they think its necessary.

Suctioning is the alternative with the same purpose. Suctioning is easier, but must be trained too: its easy to suck too much, and harm the lungs instead... Some sort of a small suctioning device is probably best. Perhaps simply a dropper used backwards.

Re using of white caro syrup or honey: I had always thought it was necessary to mix it with water, and brush over the lips and gum. As a weak kitten wont lick the sticky off...
But an experienced vet assistant assured me, its OK to use this as it is: put a tiny droplet of this sticky on the gum, and it will dissolve itself and make good. It was their favorite method for any weak kitten.
(white caro sugar and honey do contain much glucose sugar; and glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested, it goes into blood already from the mouth)

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ thank you for your reply. I knew of the "slunging" technique but wasn't sure the name of it. I had to do it with a kitten in a previous litter as it was obvious that they still had fluid in their lungs. They ended up being okay (thank goodness) but I was definitely afraid of dropping them while I was doing it! Hubby thought I was crazy, but it worked!