Facial Swelling after Extraction Surgery - is this normal

tiberria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1.5 year old cat had all of his bottom teeth removed yesterday due to stomatitis - he was scheduled to have all of his teeth removed, but they called me during the surgery advising that because they are seeing significant swelling, they recommended staging it and removing the rest after he recovers due to the concern that he would stop eating.

His appetite has been more than fine - he has eaten 4 cans of Fancy Feast in just over 24 hours (normally he would eat 2-3), and while he seems to be kind of trying to figure out how to eat normally again (presumably because learning to eat with half your teeth would feel weird), he definitely is eating more than normal, and has even tried to sneak into my other cat's dry food and start eating that too. He is drinking normal amounts of water - he was super thirsty when I took him home, and litter box is normal. He is still much sleepier than normal even about 30 hours post surgery.

The concern is that his chin looks super swollen and puffy and he is still drooling a lot (although the drooling is now just water - it had some blood right after surgery). It is definitely more swollen now than it was last night. It's hard to photograph well - this is the best I could get. They have him on Clavaseptin and Gabapentin (I asked for tablet pain killer instead of Buprenorphine because he takes pill pockets well but hates liquid syringe medication and he is still on Prednisolone, which he has been on for about a month while the surgery was being scheduled. When I called the vet, they said that they don't find swelling on its own to be a huge concern as long as he is eating - which he definitely is.

What are other people's experiences with this? Is it normal to see a lot of swelling 24 hours after extractions? Is it normal to split a full mouth extraction up into 2 surgeries like that? I hate that he is going to have to go through this whole thing a second time for his top teeth, and I assume it's also making it overall a lot more expensive.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I have not gone through this (yet), but I would expect both swelling and drooling. Has your vet seen that photo? I'd ask if I could send it.

I will tell you this, though, one of my friend's cat had a full extraction, and it, too, was split top and bottom, so that is a thing. I do not remember the whys of it, though. And once he was fully healed, he could eat ANYTHING, including kibbles and hard treats.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it a dentist that does allot of full mouth extractions? I would have gone for the buprenorphine. Gabapentin by itself isn’t Avery good pain killer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiberria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your boy today?
The swelling seems to have been progressively declining since yesterday morning, and he seems to be acting more and more like himself as time goes on, but he still won't let me look at his mouth. He has a followup vet visit scheduled on Friday evening anyway, so as long as he keeps improving, I suspect I am fine to wait for that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are right. So long as the swelling continues to go down, it can wait. And I don't much blame him for not letting you look at his mouth! Poor guy, last time he let someone look at his mouth, no good came of it at all, from his point of view!