Face wound, infected ?

Flo.b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday my cat came home with a scratch on his face, next to his whiskers, he probably fought with an other cat. It’s pretty deep , but it didn’t go trough his lip. I disinfected it and put healing cream on it.
But today it’s leaking a bit (I believe it’s the cream that’s leaking bc this cream usually doesn’t dry fast) , but it also smells bad and im a bit worried.
What should I do ? disinfect again and remove all the cream ? Is it infected ? D87AAB13-8911-4401-BC44-65EA34821505.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, if it smells bad it probably is. Cat bites and scratches can be horrible if not treated properly. The best thing to do would be to take him to the vet and get him some antibiotics, as well as getting the scratch properly cleaned.

Is he neutered? Intact cats tend to get in a lot of bad fights, they can end up costing you a fortune in vet bills.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might bring that picture in and see if they will give you an over-the-counter antibiotic. They may want to take his temperature though. Untreated wounds can often develop into abscesses and they are nasty to treat and painful for your cat. If at all possible try to make him an indoor cat, there are just too many dangers out there.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flo.b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, if it smells bad it probably is. Cat bites and scratches can be horrible if not treated properly. The best thing to do would be to take him to the vet and get him some antibiotics, as well as getting the scratch properly cleaned.

Is he neutered? Intact cats tend to get in a lot of bad fights, they can end up costing you a fortune in vet bills.
Ok thank you Im going to take him to the vet as soon as I can ! And yes he is neutered, and he doesn’t fight often tbh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flo.b

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might bring that picture in and see if they will give you an over-the-counter antibiotic. They may want to take his temperature though. Untreated wounds can often develop into abscesses and they are nasty to treat and painful for your cat. If at all possible try to make him an indoor cat, there are just too many dangers out there.....
Yes you’re right, he had an abscesse a few years ago and it was pretty bad, let’s hope this one will be less chaotic.
I appreciate your suggestion but I really can’t make him an indoor cat, he was born in the countryside and he spends his days in the forest near our house; it would be torture for him to keep him inside.