Eye watering

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 15 and 1/2 year old cat has been having issues for a while with his eye. It appears it is just one eye.

He sometimes (typically when he looks at bright light) gets crazy watery eyes. It is clear liquid. He is fine when he is sleeping and generally fine when it is dark.

Last summer it got really bad and the doctor gave me an eye medication which really seemed to work... or, it went away on its own.

He still had some tearing but it was way less.

Now it is happening again.

My cat is extremely bad at the vet, so much so that he hurts himself (and others) and so a vet visit has to be a *no choice* but to go matter. (and yes I have tried sedation and it doesn't work) And I cannot tell if this is a no choice matter. It appears that it is not a no choice matter. He seems able to see, his eyes aren't closed or strange looking, he doesn't seem to have any pain from it....

It also feels like it couldn't be that serious because it has been lingering for 6 months.

Any thoughts on what it is?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since you saw the vet for this exact thing a few months ago, would he give you another prescription without bringing the cat in? You could offer to send pics if the vet would accept them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you saw the vet for this exact thing a few months ago, would he give you another prescription without bringing the cat in? You could offer to send pics if the vet would accept them.
exactly what I was thinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still have the medication but my vet did it without a visit. I am not sure the medication really worked. It seemed to just reduce the watering but it was still there... just not as bad. I am trying to find out if it is something I do need to take him in for.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you could talk to your vet you said the eye improved but didn't completely stop watering. Maybe you just need something slightly stronger but the vet will be able to advise on whether he/she needs to see the cat in the flesh.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that attempting to call is a good move. If the vet refuses to have a discussion, you are back to deciding whether or not to bring the cat in; however, if he will accept a pic and answer some questions you may be able to avoid the visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you could talk to your vet you said the eye improved but didn't completely stop watering. Maybe you just need something slightly stronger but the vet will be able to advise on whether he/she needs to see the cat in the flesh.
I will try that.