Eye injury turns into swollen neck. Botfly?

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 month old female present Ted Friday evening with what appeared to be an eye injury. Nothing else was bothering her at that time. By Saturday evening her neck and face is swollen, she doesn't have an appetite and very lethargic. Sunday morning I noticed this place on the side of her neck when I moved her fur back. Anyone have any input? Going to vet tomorrow.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve never seen a botfly in a cat. Horses yes, not cats but I suppose they can get them.

I don’t see the swelling other than the third eyelid. Does she go outside? If so it could be a foxtail in the r we ye. If that’s the case the longer it’s in the more damage it will do. It could also be an injury to the inner eyelid. If you can’t get her in before tomorrow, keep her in and be sure she doesn’t mess with it. If you have an e-collar at home, put it on her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I gather you have some familiarity with botflies, as that would have never crossed my mind, tbh. But this article (see link below) about them suggests that may be what you're dealing with. However, it just as easily could be something else. Glad you are going to vet tomorrow.

It is possible that treating your cat monthly with a parasiticide like ivermectin (Heartgard), fipronil (Frontline), imidacloprid (Advantage), or selamectin (Revolution) might prevent botflies, even though there is little, if any, definitive research on the subject. Short of that, the only other way to prevent another occurrence is to keep your cat indoors.
Botfly Infestation: How to Handle Warbles in Cats | PetMD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve never seen a botfly in a cat. Horses yes, not cats but I suppose they can get them.

I don’t see the swelling other than the third eyelid. Does she go outside? If so it could be a foxtail in the r we ye. If that’s the case the longer it’s in the more damage it will do. It could also be an injury to the inner eyelid. If you can’t get her in before tomorrow, keep her in and be sure she doesn’t mess with it. If you have an e-collar at home, put it on her.
She does go outside. As soon as the door is open she runs out. We do our best to keep her in. Her neck and how is swollen it's just very hard to tell from the photo.

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gather you have some familiarity with botflies, as that would have never crossed my mind, tbh. But this article (see link below) about them suggests that may be what you're dealing with. However, it just as easily could be something else. Glad you are going to vet tomorrow.

It is possible that treating your cat monthly with a parasiticide like ivermectin (Heartgard), fipronil (Frontline), imidacloprid (Advantage), or selamectin (Revolution) might prevent botflies, even though there is little, if any, definitive research on the subject. Short of that, the only other way to prevent another occurrence is to keep your cat indoors.
Botfly Infestation: How to Handle Warbles in Cats | PetMD
Thank you. It's nearly impossible to keep her inside. As soon as the door opens she runs out. Sometimes we prevent it but not always.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. It's nearly impossible to keep her inside. As soon as the door opens she runs out. Sometimes we prevent it but not always.
You can call the companies that make those products, or even ask the vet, if they know the treatments mentioned can kill botflies and/or their larvae. You can also try to use some tactics to train her away from the door, if you really don't want her outside.
4 Foolproof Ways To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door - TheCatSite

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can call the companies that make those products, or even ask the vet, if they know the treatments mentioned can kill botflies and/or their larvae. You can also try to use some tactics to train her away from the door, if you really don't want her outside.
The one part that recommended making kitty afraid of the door made me sad.... I wouldn't want any kitty afraid of anything ever... the other suggestions are good though. Also of you can give kitty a "yes" to the "no" (door)
Like perhaps keep some treats on a stand near the door
Also maybe a little cat hammock or cat tree or bed
When you are going to leave get your cat in her spot and then give her a treat
Or if you can provide cat TV for her
Such as a spot near a window outlooking the yard (again every time you leave give her a treat in her spot)
have a bird or squirrel feeder outside near the window and let your kitty watch them as they eat..
These are a couple of things I can think of
I really hope you find something that works for her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one part that recommended making kitty afraid of the door made me sad.... I wouldn't want any kitty afraid of anything ever...
Sadly, sometimes with some cats, and some caretakers, that is the only recourse. Obviously, other approaches are preferable, if they are tried and successful. The bottom line is this: if one's cat should not be outdoors, for their safety/health, then that option might be the one that has to be resorted to in order to protect them.

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate that she goes outside. She gets so mad when I block her lol she's a sassy little girl. The problem is with my kids when they run in and out playing outside. They're getting better about it though. She's also still young. I'll look into these products. Anything to keep my girl safe. Thank you

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The one part that recommended making kitty afraid of the door made me sad.... I wouldn't want any kitty afraid of anything ever... the other suggestions are good though. Also of you can give kitty a "yes" to the "no" (door)
Like perhaps keep some treats on a stand near the door
Also maybe a little cat hammock or cat tree or bed
When you are going to leave get your cat in her spot and then give her a treat
Or if you can provide cat TV for her
Such as a spot near a window outlooking the yard (again every time you leave give her a treat in her spot)
have a bird or squirrel feeder outside near the window and let your kitty watch them as they eat..
These are a couple of things I can think of
I really hope you find something that works for her
I do want to get one of those hanging cat beds for the windows. I think that would be a huge help.

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly, sometimes with some cats, and some caretakers, that is the only recourse. Obviously, other approaches are preferable, if they are tried and successful. The bottom line is this: if one's cat should not be outdoors, for their safety/health, then that option might be the one that has to be resorted to in order to protect them.
There

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Check to see if any of your cats nails are shredded. I am thinking this may be the result of a fight and the other swelling is the start of an abscess from a bite wound.
I'll definitely look. I had not thought of checking her nails.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that for sure I guess I'm extremely lucky in the sense that Gabby never tries to go outside... even when the door is propped open for a few minutes bringing in groceries and such..
But in the same sense I think she is terrified of being outside period.. we have her trained on a harness and leash but when outside even on the porch she becomes distressed.. when we get off the deck she starts crying and trying to get back to the house.. we took it at her pace but as soon as we were like 5 feet away standing there for like 3 minutes or so that is when she starts to become stressed wanting to come back in.
I have to accept that she just doesn't want to be outside but we just got her exercise wheel so I'm gonna be putting that together here in a few minutes

brison86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that for sure I guess I'm extremely lucky in the sense that Gabby never tries to go outside... even when the door is propped open for a few minutes bringing in groceries and such..
But in the same sense I think she is terrified of being outside period.. we have her trained on a harness and leash but when outside even on the porch she becomes distressed.. when we get off the deck she starts crying and trying to get back to the house.. we took it at her pace but as soon as we were like 5 feet away standing there for like 3 minutes or so that is when she starts to become stressed wanting to come back in.
I have to accept that she just doesn't want to be outside but we just got her exercise wheel so I'm gonna be putting that together here in a few minutes
I had one cat who was terrified as well. If I held him on the porch he was typically ok but anytime a car went by or a new person walked outside in the neighborhood he would panic.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do want to get one of those hanging cat beds for the windows. I think that would be a huge help.
Dont get the suction cup ones. I would not trust them at all not to fall off and injure kitty. Ive had glass art fall off suction cups and smash into a bollion little shards. Could only imagine if kitty fell and broke his leg or spine.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you would like her to have outside time is there anyway to get or make a catio? This would keep her confined in a safe space and if she had access more often I think she wouldn't try to dart out the door maybe?? I saw something else too it was kind of like a cat walk way that was at the window and it was just a kind of tunnel for the cat to walk outside but still be confined safely..

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a big neutered male floof of a cat who lived his first two years of his life. He is indoor only now and spent the first 2 months plotting to escape. He was obnoxious with his constant meowing and begging and trying to bolt out the door every chance he got.

After about two months it had completely stopped. It improved a little each week. Now maybe once every 3 months he will try to bolt out the door. But 99 % of the time he is fine.

What I did was, if bringing in groceries or taking a delivery, he gets a treat in a side bedroom and locked in there until all the door traffic is done. Doorbell rings, he runs to the bedroom for his treat and gets locked in. He is very happy to run to the bedroom for the treat. Doing this was more of a training me thing than him. The few times he did try to bolt, it was because I forgot to go in first and lock him up and had stuff in my arms.

I make sure he has plenty of cat areas and trees and windows to look out, as well as toys. He is a very happy cat.