eye doctor/insurance vent...

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I HATE going to the eye doctor. IDK why, maybe the eye puff thing that always makes me jump, or the light he shines right into my eyes that makes my head hurt, or that they always try to get me to spend more and more and more....
Today I had to go to the eye doc though. On Friday, I accidentally ripped my last contact. I went to get another one, and realize I was out. Went to re-order some online, and found out my prescription has expired in August. Awesome...

My insurance has changed since last year...I am now on DH insurance. I had read the info about what I could get, and the contact allowance is 105$.
I tried to explain to DH that this meant that I had 105 to cover the exam plus contacts, but he swore that his friend from work was able to spend 105 solely on contacts, that the exam is covered differently.
I chose the closest eye doctor on the insurance site, and made an appt, which was this morning. I drove past it yesterday and it looked kinda awful. Small and not in a good area. But I went in today and it was nice inside and the people seemed very nice. Eye appointment went generally well. I had been wearing my backup glasses since last week, so they gave me a trial pair of contacts. This typically happens at every appt I go to, so it is the norm to me.
I go to pay copay and order some contacts....the lady tells me that w/ my insurance I can get 4 boxes of contacts, fully covered, and will only owe 15 additional (plus 15 copay). I said sure, that sounds awesome. She started inputting information and seemed confused. Asked the other two workers if they knew the allowance for my insurance and they agreeed and said the same thing. She is still inputting information....asks another lady for help. They end up realizing they were all wrong, and to order four boxes I would owe almost 150....so I asked how much I would owe for 2 boxes. (the eye doctor changed my prescription, so my left/right eyes are different powers, so I have to order one box of each power)
She spend another ten minutes trying to delete the order of 4 boxes. I told her that I needed to go because the child I watch was going to be at my house in 10 minutes and I would just pay my copay and come back to order contact. She got snippy! Said "oh so you dont want me to order these?" and I said no, I could only afford to pay copay and up to 15 extra, I can't order these. I will come back when I have more time to figure out what is covered and not. So she proceeds to put in an order for two boxes!!!!! And tells me I owe 65 plus copay for 2 boxes. I, again, said "I need to pay my copay and will come back to order contacts, but I appreciate the information".
So she tells me that they are billing insurance for the visit and the pair of contacts they gave me, and when I go to order contacts, I will have $45 dollars towards my contacts order.....which at their office, covers ONE box of contacts...
So out of the 105$ allowance, 60 of it went towards the visit! Kinda seems ridiculous! It would be awesome if the insurance website tells you that! Also, If i tell you I am not interested in buying contacts today and will come back when I have more time to do so, why would you continue placing the order and get upset when I tell you that I can't do it??
(I know I should have gone when I had more time then an hour...but today I was not supposed to have any daycare kids til 2pm but the mom the the boy I watch during the day had some schedule changes and he was being dropped off at 930)

I am just frustrated. I called DH and told him about it and he still swears his friend was able to spend 105$ on contacts only....does anyone with vision insurance wanna respond and tell me how it is for your insurance? Is this the norm to get the whole allowance on contacts, or is it the norm for the allowance to be halfway spent on the exam/fitting??

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insurance and money issues have been eating me up for over 2 months now. No words of wisdom here.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, it depends on the plan was written by the employer...if your husband's friend carries exactly the same policy from the same employer, I'd call him and get his experience, and then call the carrier and go over coverages. Take an aspirin and have a cup of coffee handy - sometimes it can be a long conversation.

For the upcoming year, my employer offers three 'tiers' of insurance, with three differing premiums. Depending on what you pick, your out of pocket can change quite a bit. Also, sometimes eye exams are funny - on my current plan, if you have diabetes, your annual exam is covered at 100% - but not contacts or glasses.

BTW, do you have to order the contacts from that place...once you have your prescription, you can usually order over the internet or even from Costco. I get mine from my optician, but a six month supply of my lenses is only $60, so I like to get it from a place I've known for years. Your lenses could be quite different.

Good luck though - it's frustrating not knowing what's getting covered or not.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i never get vision insurance - just not worth the premiums! glasses for me usually cost upwards of $350, & i only use them occasionally, so i just make do w/an older pair. contacts - last time i ordered them, about $100-$150 for mine [i also have to order 2 different scripts, 1 for each eye].
i rarely order more than once a year - premiums would add up to about what my lenses cost, so i really don't save anything.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had my contacts covered so I don't know. But that lady sounds like she needs a long vacation or something. I'd just get the contacts elsewhere if you can get them cheaper! Usually I end up paying a good deal toward my glasses even. Like I'll get a discount on the lenses, but then have to pay for all of the frame and whatever was left on the lenses.

I'm currently on my last pair; which is sort of fine because being home with the baby it's just easier to keep my glasses on (except when she grabs them!). I wouldn't be out of lenses except that apparently my eye doctor does not see pregnant or nursing women unless they are having a specific problem because they can't dialate your eyes. I mean I understand that pregnancy can mess with your vision; but without an updated exam you can't order new contacs... So the lady there told me I had 2 weeks to order a years worth of lenses if I wanted to. I didn't want to. I was about to quit my job and have my baby for crying out loud! And apparently the girl who scheduled me missed the fact that I was nearly 9 months pregnant so I drove all the way there the day after a big snowstorm (they generally do not plow good around here!!) for nothing! I don't intend on scheduling another appointment till after the baby is a year; so I'm not sure what I will do for our holiday pictures with the baby. *vent over*

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate going to the eye doctor. I have needed an update prescription for about 6 yrs now. Nowhere around here accepted Access so I couldnt get my eyes done when I had insurance and now that I dont have any I wont be going anytime soon. Even when BF and I get married I doubt Ill go onto his insurance plan because its an extra 100 bucks a week taken out of his check just to add me on but he is fully covered without anything taken out. Stupid insurance, Im ready for the owners wife to retire because when she does they want to bring me into the office to work so Ill get my own insurance plan.....Too bad noone knows when they are retiring...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I hate going to the eye doctor. I have needed an update prescription for about 6 yrs now. Nowhere around here accepted Access so I couldnt get my eyes done when I had insurance and now that I dont have any I wont be going anytime soon. Even when BF and I get married I doubt Ill go onto his insurance plan because its an extra 100 bucks a week taken out of his check just to add me on but he is fully covered without anything taken out. Stupid insurance, Im ready for the owners wife to retire because when she does they want to bring me into the office to work so Ill get my own insurance plan.....Too bad noone knows when they are retiring...
My husband complains about having me on his insurance sometimes....it was super cheap with just him but with me it got expensive. And I never go to the doctor unless I absolutely need to, so he thinks it is a waste. So I am trying to actually use the insurance and start going for regular checkups at the eye doc, dentist and other docs. I can't go without insurance though. The last two times I dind't have insurance, I got bronchitis really bad and was in the hospital, and the next time, I got a cut on my leg that got a staph infection...bad things only happen to me while uninsured!
I didn't want to go to the eye doc yet, but I accidently ripped my last contact, and had no extras. Went to order some and my prescription expired in August, so I had to go get a new prescription. I can't wear glasses full time...I mean I could if I absolutely had too....but I hate mine, and they are about 3 years old prescription wise. Probably a good thing I went...I have the beginnings of cataracts in both eyes, the astigmatism in my left eye is getting worse, and my prescription went up again...
No wonder I was having trouble seeing...