Extended pain meds?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy can't get in to have extractions until the 22nd. She is three days out from being done with the antibiotic and has one Onsior left.

I was reluctant to start the pain med and decided to watch to see if she may need it. After she had what appeared to be another seizure, we gave her the first one. No seizure-like movements for those 24 hours so we gave her the second one. Again...another 24 hours of success. In fact, she was out playing, chasing the laser light, eating treats, etc more than before. We waited on this last dose to see if she would continue being ok. While I haven't seen any of the seizure-type of things, I am seeing excessive licking of her front legs/paws. Her head is also wet...and I mean significantly for what a cat normally might have with their bathing. I read this could be a symptom of pain. In hindsight, the last two days haven't been that wet of a feeling like now.

So, I'm wondering how a clinic might work this for a pet like this who has to wait three weeks for treatment? Will her infection come back? What about the pain? I know these meds are far from safe for cats (as a whole) and are pretty limited, but can I let Lucy go on like this? What do they do for pets like this?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need to contact them and explain the situation. They may give you more medication to hold her over. I don’t think stopping the antibiotics is a good idea if she needs them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree about contacting the vet and asking for more pain meds to tide Lucy over until her dental procedure. You can ask them if another pain med would be sufficient if you are worried about her taking Onsior. Also, ask about if more antibiotics are needed due to the delay. It is possible the infection could come back and if so, delay the extraction even more.

The key for right now is to make her comfortable, it isn't like she will be taking pain meds forever.