Experiment to slowly improve the quality of food my 4 cats eat

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Bad Situation
I have 4 cats (7 to 14 years old) who seem to be eating less and less. I am throwing away so much wet food that I decided to try alternative products. My basic supply is a good quality product (according to test reports a few years ago) from our regional Aldi, plus the German equivalent to Fancy Feast, and Purina One Adult pouches (for Mogi who needs gravy).

So, I bought a new more expensive product, Bozita (which advertised that it was more than 93% meat or poultry) and slowly added it to their normal food. They seemed to like it so, of course, I ordered quite a lot! Their initial interest in the new product started to wear off at the same time as I purchased a recent product report, which classified this product as “unsatisfactory”, too much sodium and phosphorus and too little iodine. As 2 of my cats are possibly showing early signs of CKD, this did not make good reading.

Summary: I now have a good supply of cat food which they don’t eat willingly, plus a load of “unsatisfactory” Fancy Feast (according to the test report: too much sodium, calcium and phosphorus), Bozita, just as unsatisfactory, and Purina One Adult pouches which are at least “satisfactory” even though there is also too much phosphorus.

My consolation: my cats were at least eating considerably less of these products per day than the test assumed.

And now.....
I made a list of the better-quality products which I could possibly buy locally and bought a selection to try. Yesterday I introduced a small tin of pate and a pouch with gravy for Mogi. I’m still mixing it with their basic good-quality Aldi food. Today, the same procedure. Most of it has already been eaten.

By the way, I also always leave a cupful of dry food out. It usually needs replacing every 2 or 3 days.

Am I wrong to hope that I will be able to make a satisfactory transition to better quality food and even be able to have a selection of different tins and pouches in case one of my cats becomes picky? If I only have best-quality food in the house, I will not have to feel guilty about giving poor quality food to the ferals and strays which I also feed.

I was most surprised that the most nutritious cat foods were by no means the most expensive. It is a shame that the report only covered 30 products available in Germany.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You re not wrong to HOPE, but it may or may not actually happen. That just depends on how picky your cats are. If they start turning their noses up at these new choices, you can always try some others. (I don't guess you purchased every single one available to you YET).

Hoping they all like the new food :crossfingers: