Experienced Help Needed On 4 Day Old Kitten Dilema

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just joined this site I've spent countless nights over the years looking for additional guidance when kittens do something new... so thank you everyone who responds to questions.... well I have a liter of 5 and they are strong and healthy and ears are already standing up after less than a week... momma had a baby for during labor and caused a 22 hour labor a couple thousand dollars later she is fine and trying to take care of the kittens but poor girl needs my help. The biggest strongest kitten is neither gaining or loosing weight for 2 days and I am not sure why because he's growing and strong as can be. If I didn't weigh every kitten I would have no idea.... any sort of advice or similar experiences

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just joined this site I've spent countless nights over the years looking for additional guidance when kittens do something new... so thank you everyone who responds to questions.... well I have a liter of 5 and they are strong and healthy and ears are already standing up after less than a week... momma had a baby for during labor and caused a 22 hour labor a couple thousand dollars later she is fine and trying to take care of the kittens but poor girl needs my help. The biggest strongest kitten is neither gaining or loosing weight for 2 days and I am not sure why because he's growing and strong as can be. If I didn't weigh every kitten I would have no idea.... any sort of advice or similar experiences

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby die sorry auto correct

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The biggest you write and ask about, did it die? all of suddenly?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you handfeeding the kittens as now, because momma had surgery? Or is momma nursing them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im momma nurses them, be prepared to handfeed instead! There is a disease, when mommas milk is poisonous, and its the biggest strongest whom die first - because they get most of the poisonous milk...

If you handfeed - be double careful you use correct techique when feeding - its very easy to do it wrongly, and they get milk in lungs...

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No-one born alive is dead just the one that died in labor causing the complications. There is no poisened milk had dead baby removed the next day along with entire uterus. The mother us nursing however I think the surgeries wore her out so I was bottle feeding the ones that didn't gain enough wait the day before a few times to keep them plump. The biggest one is nursing and will not take the bottle because he is nursing I assume. But he's neither gaining or loosing weight

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's getting enough food he's strong as can be he's getting larger but he's not gaining weight. Nor is he skinny no fleas no parasites

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, good. So no dramatic changes, just this no gaining.

Could it be, you had weigh him before he did his poo, and now he DID his poo, and that is why you dont see any difference?

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been constant with him for 2 days 3.4 ounces no ups no downs I even tried to cheat and weigh him after I fed him... same weight. Is it possible for a big one to have so much prenatal stuff inside them to wear it evens out as it all gets used up? I'm telling you this little guy I can't even hold him down to bottle feed him he's so strong. He runs around and flops everywhere during nursing time like he's extremely healthy but I can't get him to gain weight... He's a week old o. Saturday and if I take him to any vet they will take one look at him and say he's super healthy... this is the moms first and now last litter and I promised her I would keep all of her babies alive no matter what... and if there's something I should do I want to do it. But I'm afraid to supplement this one because he nurses on the best nipple and has a full round tummy and he refuses the syringe

Scubajosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bye the way thank you for your responses I swear when you don't know what to do just talking to someone makes you feel like your not alone. Thank you

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway that you can weigh him in grams? It is more accurate as you can see smaller gains and losses...