Experienced Bengal and or Highland Breeders

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Is there anyone breeding or have experience with F5 Bengals and or Highland Breeds? The bengal is a breed I have always wanted, I have done my research and see a lot of bad about them, but would love to hear some good as well. I understand that they do need a lot of attention which I can gladly give them, I work from home so I'm home all the time, I just worry do I really know what I am getting into. Like for example, we don't do much as far as vacations or going places for a long period of time, other than in the summer, my husband has a race car and we go racing every Friday night and we're gone about 7-8 hours but other than that, just trips to the store, out to dinner, etc. We are home bodies.

And then there is the Highland, I think they are adorable, especially the kittens. Again, did my research, even though there isn't a lot said about them as they are a fairly new breed. If you have them or breed them, I would love to hear your thoughts on them.

Thank you in advance for any information you could share and please post pictures, I would LOVE to see your babies! :)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I would never recommend anyone get a cat of a breed that stacks mutations (curled ears, bobbed tail, polydactyly), and had its start in BYB practices (the Highlander started out in the sham registry, REFR (rare and exotic feline registry), and is an experiemebtal breed out of two other experimental breeds). There may be decent Highlander breeders now, but with how new the breed is, and how many breeds are mixed in the origins, I wouldn’t know what to expect temperamentally, and I’d be worried about genetic predispositions to health issues.

Of the two, I’d 100% recommend a well-bred G5+ Bengal. Make sure you go to a good breeder that does echoes for HCM, breeds higher generation cats for temperament, regularly attends cat shows and has titled cats. Make sure they neuter and vaccinate prior to sale, and that kittens stay with mum at least 12 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I would never recommend anyone get a cat of a breed that stacks mutations (curled ears, bobbed tail, polydactyly), and had its start in BYB practices (the Highlander started out in the sham registry, REFR (rare and exotic feline registry), and is an experiemebtal breed out of two other experimental breeds). There may be decent Highlander breeders now, but with how new the breed is, and how many breeds are mixed in the origins, I wouldn’t know what to expect temperamentally, and I’d be worried about genetic predispositions to health issues.

Of the two, I’d 100% recommend a well-bred G5+ Bengal. Make sure you go to a good breeder that does echoes for HCM, breeds lower generation cats for temperament, regularly attends cat shows and has titled cats. Make sure they neuter and vaccinate prior to sale, and that kittens stay with mum at least 12 weeks.
Thank you for sharing your advice, I thought the same thing with the Highlander, they are beautiful cats from what I seen, but there is not much about them as far as research when I looked and I'm only told what some of the breeders of them have been telling me. I spoke to a person selling them recently and she sent me some pictures and a few videos and they are asking $1000 for these kittens, no papers, they're not spayed or neutered yet, they do have their first vaccinations, but I'm hesitant even though they are precious looking and I've been told they're super friendly and lovable, but most cats are if they are treated and raised in good environments, I mean they all have their personalities but you know what I mean.

Thank you for your advice, I truly appreciate it! I always wanted a Bengal, I just have a fear of the bad behaviors I hear about and they can be very vocal so I've read and seen in videos. :)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Behavioral issues in Bengals are largely down to poor breeding and being separated from mum too early. If you take the time to select a breeder you can trust to do right by their kittens, and that breed for temperament, you shouldn’t have many issues. Bengals do tend to be very clingy, especially when they’re young, and have a tendency to be vocal, but that’s part of their charm, imo.

Temperament in cats is largely genetic, so if a breeder is working with well-temperamented cats and socialized their kittens well, you should have well-adjusted Bengal kittens :)

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Behavioral issues in Bengals are largely down to poor breeding and being separated from mum too early. If you take the time to select a breeder you can trust to do right by their kittens, and that breed for temperament, you shouldn’t have many issues. Bengals do tend to be very clingy, especially when they’re young, and have a tendency to be vocal, but that’s part of their charm, imo.
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it! I'm looking into very reputable breeders that aren't too far away and they have excellent reviews. I just want to go to see them in person and meet the babies and see what it's like owning a bengal but some won't allow that. :(

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If a breeder doesn’t let you see their cats in person, assuming there aren’t any covid restrictions still where you live, that’s a red flag, imo. I saw my girl twice before I took her home, and the breeder was happy to accommodate that :)

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree! I'm hoping one of them let me come to meet the kitties that I reached out too. I figure seeing them in person and being around them a little bit would for sure let me see if it's the right cat for our household. Fingers crossed! :)

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe with Highlanders you want someone in the breed club and to steer clear of people breeding them as "highland lynx", there are good and bad breeders to sort through. I have a Highlander along with a early gen Bengal hybrid, a rescue and a rehome so I can't advise on breeders at all. Both are active cats but very different personalities, the Bengal being an F2 has some behaviors and quirks that make her a rather terrible pet but a later gen from a reputable breeder wouldn't be like that. The HL is more like a little dog in many regards and really a pretty fabulous pet overall.

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help. The one good breeder of Bengals has told me the babies I’m looking at are no F generation, they’re domestic; so hopefully it wouldn’t be as mischievous as an F generation. I did hear that the High’s were very friendly and lovable like a dog, which I love but I don’t know of any reputable breeders in my area and I have always loved the bengals and wanted one.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to go the Bengal way I would advise F7/G7 onwards if you havent had experience with Bengals before..an F5/G5 are very demanding of your time and character. They are very strong willed and very very intelligent and will find subtle and not so subtle ways do dominate every other animal and person in the house so you have to be on the top of your game from kittens days to 5 years old to be the top cat in the house and keep them in their place.
Pro,s are that when they bond with you, you will have the most loyal and loving companion you ever met and a lot of fun and laughter at the quirks and crazy things they do. So if you go the Bengal road get a higher F number and get a pair, preferably siblings and they will get rid of their excess energy with each other and not rely on you for their play and fun and many people will attest that that is exhausting because of their high energy play lasts for hours and hours.
Get onto one of the Bengal clubs on Facebook and get heaps of advise before you jump into it.
Also kitten play and high activity is for life..they never grow out of it.
P1150152.JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah. I agree with the above. As you are new to the Bengals, and even, new to breeding. go for an established trace. Ie late generations. Dont take on any early generations where you must have a high fingertop feeling...

Of course, as company is important, a companion cat doesnt need to be a purebred bengal. Almost any lively and friendly cat could do as companion cat. If your stock allows you to have one extra cat whom isnt a breeding stock.
A memory arises. One of our granddaus, a sociale Russian Blue, was happily sold to a good home. (we were owner of the stud) But the breeder sends a panic mail. The buyer has already a cat, its a bengal! What shall become of my girl! But its too late to cancel the contract now!.... But later on, it showed these two cats, bengal and russian blue, become good pals, and did played happily with each other... Granddau hadnt no difficulties to race and wrestle with the other...

Last but not least: You can get some breeding experience for free. If you start with being a foster home for high pregs homeless; cooperating with a shelter or a rescue group. This experience of taking care of a high preg; help her deliver, raise kittens, is gold worth. Its a win-win situation...

The only you must look out with, is any possible risk of contagion... With breeders its as the wife of Ceasar. There shall not fall even a shadow of doubt on Ceasars wife behavior.

babymandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I agree with the above. As you are new to the Bengals, and even, new to breeding. go for an established trace. Ie late generations. Dont take on any early generations where you must have a high fingertop feeling...

Of course, as company is important, a companion cat doesnt need to be a purebred bengal. Almost any lively and friendly cat could do as companion cat. If your stock allows you to have one extra cat whom isnt a breeding stock.
A memory arises. One of our granddaus, a sociale Russian Blue, was happily sold to a good home. (we were owner of the stud) But the breeder sends a panic mail. The buyer has already a cat, its a bengal! What shall become of my girl! But its too late to cancel the contract now!.... But later on, it showed these two cats, bengal and russian blue, become good pals, and did played happily with each other... Granddau hadnt no difficulties to race and wrestle with the other...

Last but not least: You can get some breeding experience for free. If you start with being a foster home for high pregs homeless; cooperating with a shelter or a rescue group. This experience of taking care of a high preg; help her deliver, raise kittens, is gold worth. Its a win-win situation...

The only you must look out with, is any possible risk of contagion... With breeders its as the wife of Ceasar. There shall not fall even a shadow of doubt on Ceasars wife behavior.
Thank you for the advice! I must correct something, I will not be breeding, the Bengal will be a pet, I have no interest in breeding, I wouldn’t have a clue. But again, thank you for your comment and your advice, I really appreciate it! 😊

KW.Bengals

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Registered Bengal Breeder here (in Ontario, Canada). We focus ONLY on SBT's (stud book tradition) which is Bengal x Bengal breeding.
I completely with the poster above, Maurey Maurey ! As long as you get a well socialized cat from a registered, ethical breeder, you shouldn't have any issues with behavior. Our kittens are raised around children of different ages from the day they're born, until they go to their new homes (most of our kittens go to homes with children as well). We have never once had someone inform us of behavior issues, we only hear how sweet and cuddly they are and how amazing they are with children. So it really is possible - you just have to make sure you do your research and find the perfect Breeder for your needs.
As for cattery visits, I highly suggest finding one that will let you visit. Some closed catteries are exceptions but majority of the time, if you aren't aloud to see where the kittens grow up, there's usually a reason for that. You also want a breeder that shows with their registers association (TICA, CFA, CCA, etc). This guarantees the breeder you're interested in is producing kittens/cats that meet and/or exceed the breed standard 😻

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it! I'm looking into very reputable breeders that aren't too far away and they have excellent reviews. I just want to go to see them in person and meet the babies and see what it's like owning a bengal but some won't allow that. :(
It could be due to covid or it could be the breeder had a bad experience with visits. But you should be able to see the kittens at some point, first by photographs and then when you pick the kitten up obviously.

I visited the breeder’s home and saw her cats before Quinn( siamese) was born. However I was not allowed to see any kittens on the first visit because they were too young…she had a bad experience with allowing a visit from someone who transmitted something to her kittens from their cats. Then I picked him from photographs and of course saw him and other kittens from the litter in person when I picked him up. On my first visit I stayed there for over an hour and also met her little dogs. Her cats liked me and one of them sat on my lap. This was all pre covid. You could ask to see them on a video maybe.