Excited New Kitty Owners!

lucieandlumi

yes she is named after the hxh character
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya Cats! I’m Lucie. So today my 3 roommates and I finally got the cat of our dreams, a lovely 4 year old sphinx named Illumi, or Lumi for short! However the process was difficult. Her previous owner could not keep her due to a severe spike in allergies after a pregnancy, so she was desperate to get her out and into a loving home that could give her the affection that she could no longer provide. Lumi sadly had spent her last couple weeks in that home living in a closet with very little contact. Once we told the previous owner that we could take her, we pretty much got her the following days. We had only met her once before the adoption process so there wasn’t a whole lot of time for her to bond with us before the move in. A lot has happened to her in the past two days so we can tell she is quite shaken from it.
She is very very nervous around us and doesn’t like us approaching her quite yet, so we’re giving her space. We are very nervous as well and are very desperate for her to like us! We know it takes time but we can’t help but feel upset that she hisses at us if we get even marginally close to her. Currently she has made a bundle of blankets for herself on the couch, and wants us to stay away!
The previous owner has assured us that she is extremely friendly and loves to cuddle and be affectionate. We are sure it is only a matter of time but we are so anxious! Please wish us luck, and any advice for new kitties is super appreciated! <3
8685C290-3633-4FD2-8AEC-809B36EB21AF.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Treats and toys is your best option. Never had sphinx kitty but how cute is that one! O so cute! Just try getting a tot on a string and see if she will play, or try putting treats or canned food close to u so she has to come by u. Even though everyone is excited try and stay calm and not invade her space to much. If she's really really acting feral u could always try doing the taming a feral process which should do the trick and move fairly quick since she was just a housecat. Good luck and keep updating and ask questions if u have them!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
73A2D866-387D-4976-B884-324CDA9928FE.gif
Lucie and Illumi, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
844DBE50-D458-46CA-B43A-A16BA7DB7EE4.gif
to both of you!

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just adopted a very skittish adolescent kitty, and I understand how frustrating it is when they're scared of us even though all we want to do is love them. Your patience will be rewarded, though. From our perspective, it seems like they should be instantly excited to be out of a shelter/closet and installed in our space, but I've realized that new human-sized spaces are huge and terrifying and full of scary noises and such. So don't take her being overwhelmed and intimidated too personally.

It's nice that your kitty has a place to hide where she feels secure, and in time she'll start to feel more comfortable and be more receptive to making friends. Good luck, and I hope it doesn't take long for her to see how great her new humans are.