Excessive(?) Meowing...yes, She's Siamese

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or, to be more accurate, she's Balinese. But, pretty similar.

My 4-year-old cat Little Kitty is a retired breeding queen. Since she's already 4, and wasn't in a great situation, I think she is the mother of many, many babies. She was spayed at the end of August, and we got her right after that. She has been recovering from serious stomatitis (autoimmune disease attacking the mouth) and the extraction of all of her teeth, which is helping her stomatitis go into remission. She does great with no teeth, like most cats, and can eat whatever she wants other than mice and birds. Along the way to remission, there have been lots of health problems, most of which have totally cleared up (I think some of her issues were due to medications. The only thing she's currently on is CBD oil, and she had a steroid shot 2 weeks ago).

Now that she is in far less pain, has gained an appetite, and is no longer in really desperate shape, LK (who is strictly an indoor cat) has become increasingly noisy. She always meowed a lot, except when she was at her sickest. My mother used to have a Siamese cat and told me they are loud, and common knowledge has led me to believe this as well. Also, who cares, right? It's sweet to hear a meowing sound.

Only it's getting really intense. She sleeps or otherwise lounges in a basket all day, and then, when I get home from work, she really goes nuts. She just stands around shouting for no reason, even after she's been fed and has had all she wants to eat (she gets wet food 2x per day with dry food freely available). After she stands around for a while, LK wanders the house, hollering loudly, and sniffs and paws at the corners of all the doors and windows. She is especially obsessed with closet doors, and reaches her arms under them to fish for who knows what. It really is like she's searching and searching for something. Sometimes she takes off and zooms around, but that seems kind of normal compared with the insane vocals. The shouting session usually lasts until about 10pm, at which point she returns to her basket and expects us to go to bed, too.

If I pick her up to hold and pat, she will usually quiet down and settle in for a nice cuddle. But she doesn't come up to us to sit on our laps, she just roams the house. Every once in a while it sounds like real howling--but not the kind of sound she used to make when her mouth was in pain, so I really don't think it's a pain sound. I have not seen her rolling on the floor like a cat in heat, although she rubs her chin on things sometimes. She has plenty to amuse her, aside from other cats--she is used to living with about 15 of them. One trigger I have noticed, which is annoying, is that she hates it when I go into the bathroom. She stands outside the door, with her paws squeezed under, yelling with all her might until I come out.

What do you think is going on? Is this just an artifact of being a Siamese-type cat? Could she have been spayed too late? Is there something I'm not getting? She is definitely not hungry, and I don't want to overfeed her just to try and quiet her down. I really don't think she is in pain, now that I know so well what that looks like. I have never owned an indoor cat before, only outdoor-indoor barn types. We are planning to get a second cat at the end of December FYI...this will be a 12-week old female.

Does your cat do this? Any insights will be much appreciated. Thank you!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My Charlie doesn't meow a ton, only when he wants something (like food, for me to come out of the bathroom, or for me to retrieve a toy that he's shoved under the couch). The Siamese family cats are more conversationally chatty. Like this one Siamese at a cat show who meows at me as I walk by:
Siamese: Meow!
Me: Hello!
Me: How are you doing?
So, since Little Kitty isn't meowing like she was when she was in pain, and she's not hungry or bored, I don't think it's anything of concern, we'll see what the other posters say, though. I wonder if some of it could be that she wants company- that's why she's so desperate for you to leave the bathroom. She is used to being in an environment with a lot of other cats. So, when you do get your kitten, I think that might help her to calm down a bit.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she's just being the unique and wonderful creature she is. There's no template for their individuality and I think we all forget that sometimes. My sister had Siamese over the years and their characters were like chalk and cheese, some quiet, some bonkers and some Ninja Assassins in a fur coat waiting at head height on the stairs to swat any passing human's head (claws out usually).
She sounds like she just wants your attention and loves you to bits.
She may associate you going in the bathroom and shutting the door as you leaving for a few hours so wants you back pronto. Maybe she links all the doors with you leaving and that's why she sniffs them etc. If it were me, I'd let her in the bathroom. I'm sure she won't tell any secrets.
If you have a video or cam of some sort it may be interesting to see what she gets up to when you leave for work.
I'm not a behaviourist so these are just my thoughts.
Anyhow,sit back and enjoy the luuurv.:petcat: