Ex stray cat hasn't come home

sushicat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a stray cat 5 weeks ago, got him all fixed up and he was settling really well, getting on perfectly with my cats, was letting me pet him, seemed really comfortable in the house and was playful and responded to his name. I decided to let him out this morning, before breakfast, as he seemed ready and was getting pretty frustrated being cooped up. But, he hasn't come home and it's now 1am. Seen absolutely no sight of him. He knows the area well as he was a stray for a year, so I'm not worried that he's lost.. just that he doesn't want to come back. I've left a small amount of food out for him and there's plenty of water about but I need to go to sleep now. I've tried calling him in, using treats and food packets etc. I'm not sure what to do :( Any advice from anyone who has had this happen? Especially with ex strays? Thank you

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep watching for him. Call him and let him see you often. He’s probably nearby but adjusting to being out again. Even though he was a stray out there, it’s a big deal to be out again. Things change quickly outside to a cat. New sounds, smells and animals can be present. You can look for him in the dark by using a flashlight which will reflect well if it catches his eyes. Don’t chase him but approach slowly or try to call him to you if you see him. A stray will go back to being very alert for predators and he may be wary. I got one of mine back in by leaving the door wide open and calling her to come back in herself. She was very nervous and I could not have picked her up. She will now be inside only! It took me two months to get her back in. Don’t give up. They normally want to come back in. In fact, you may find that he will now prefer to be inside where he feels he is in a safe sanctuary with all the love and pets he could desire. You can try taking food out and shaking a dry food bag, container of treats or popping open a can do he hears that you have food. You might also put something with your scent on it near the door or a close hiding place you think he might use. Look for him under everything and on top of everything. Roof tops are a place they go sometimes. Make a regular routine for calling, searching and feeding. Chances are he is watching. Cats are masters at hiding in plain sight. I know it is worrisome but don’t give up. He knows where he is loved.