ex-feral getting a little chunky

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So last April I took in a feral, "Ghostie", and things are great. He's an awesome cat. If I do things right he even lets me pet him and purrs. Only certain rooms and..well theres a ritual. Anyway....

I already had 2 cats. I just leave a few bowls of food around the house full of blue buffalo dry food (side note: thinking of switching to either castor and pollux or orijen, opinions on either are welcome) and the cats eat whenever. When I have supper i'll usually give them a few greenies but thats about it for treats.

Even when he lived outside he was a stocky-build cat. But now that he's been neutered and has a warm house with a comfy blanket he's not exactly active. And he's getting a little big. I dont wanna fat shame him...but yeah he's getting fat. Should I be concerned or is he just a big cat? Has anyone had success with weight control cat food?

seal.jpg

seal2.jpg

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - way to go on bringing him inside and giving him what's obviously a very happy home with someone who loves and understands him!

I feel your pain in trying to get your kitty to be a little less "big boned" without making him feel fat-shamed. We also have a TNR'd feral - "Sookie" who's never met a bowl of food or a treat or a bug she didn't enjoy with gusto. My hubby named her after Melissa McCarthy's character on "The Gilmore Girls" because both make us laugh hysterically (our Sookie has a crazy-sounding purr you can literally hear 20 feet away), and both have always had a little bit of a weight struggle. "Our" Sookie was 100% feral and 100% enormous the day she showed up in our yard. And interestingly, we brought her sister "Flick" inside and she's skinny as a rail despite eating like a trucker! (Kind of like me and my sister)

Ghostie's obviously overweight - - -which you already know (and kudos to you for wanting to help him with it so he'll be around lots longer!). Do you play with him at all? We can engage most of our kitties - inside, TNR'd feral, and fosters) with two toys: "Da Bird" and a "Cat Dancer." (I'll put links to their amazon pages - although both can be found at most pet stores). Both are nice to use when trying to engage kitties that are a bit 'human skittish' as both are toys you use with them from a few feet away. And cats love them because they very much mimic how birds and bugs move outside. I'd start slowly with him with those toys if possible. Can you change your free-feeding to a timed free feed (you leave hard down for a specific period and pull it back up after that time is up)? And if there's any way you can get him to a vet to be checked out - just in case it's a medical issue, not just a "metabolism" problem. :) I understand that may be next to impossible - - -but you can at least begin with the playing. His weight may make playing with toys that need him to move a little - but start with a few minutes within once or twice a day, and move up to longer and more frequent play times.The bonus of play? It helps you bond!

Da Bird toy
Cat Dancer

And if all else fails, I'm starting Weight Watchers (for the 3rd time) tonight if you'd like to send Ghostie with me.

(and so that Ghostie doesn't feel alone in his struggle for a healthy weight - - -know that he's got a kitty friend here that's sharing his struggle and cheering him on! Sookie's pic is below so he knows who's thinking of him!)

Sookie snoozing on deck 1_22_2017.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww sookie's so cute!

You said Melissa McCarthy in Gilmour Girls...my brain read that as Jenny McCarthy in Golden Girls. I was really confused....

Ghostie eats a little weird. He doesnt just eat...he takes a few bites, leaves the room, comes back in 5 mins and takes a few bites, comes back in 15 mins and has a few bites. I think I might be able to work with that though. After reading yout post I was searching around and saw they have automatic feeders that could give him a predetermined amount every so often. I'll start with that and a bit more play time.

And good luck with weight watchers. Failure isnt falling off the horse, its not getting back on!!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Melissa McCarthy and Jenny Mcarthy - definitely a study in opposites - made me laugh!

Thanks for the positive Weight Watchers note! I'll take any encouragement I can get.

We've got 2 cats that eat that "one bite...leave...one bite....sit...look around...one bite...leave...repeat" way. I've had fosters over the years who eat that way. And ferals in particular often start that way - - they either gobble so quickly they almost choke for fear of being prey while they're looking down and eating...or they do that take a bite and leave to throw off predators. He'll likely get better about eating more comfortably as he gets more comfortable. Or he could be a nut like our 2 that eat that way. :)

Keep me posted - -you're doing SO well with him! And I'll tell Sookie she has an admirer! (I attached a pic of Flick - her sister - to show you how different metabolism can run! The pic's a few years old - but her body's still that rail thin!).

Attachments