Essence Cat Food

inshadowinsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm feeding my 2 year old cat Essence and was wondering if anyone here is also feeding their cat this brand of food, dry or wet, and what your opinion is on it.

I think it's high quality, but I'm curious about other people's opinions on it!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you share the ingredient list for the specific line you feed that would help with feedback. A lot of brands have different ingredient or nutrition information for their different country and product lines.

I haven't used it before, it's not something readily avilable in my area. But a quick look doesn't look bad. I'd be a little worried about fat content on the dry since it seems similar to the Orijen lines and they can be high fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inshadowinsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you share the ingredient list for the specific line you feed that would help with feedback. A lot of brands have different ingredient or nutrition information for their different country and product lines.

I haven't used it before, it's not something readily avilable in my area. But a quick look doesn't look bad. I'd be a little worried about fat content on the dry since it seems similar to the Orijen lines and they can be high fat.
Ah I forgot to write the ingredients! I use the Air and Gamefowl but I did use to buy Orijen as well.

Do most dry cat foods have high fat or is it just a few?

inshadowinsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is what is on the website for Air and Game Fowl.

Screenshot_20230218_215712_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_201605_DuckDuckGo.jpg

inshadowinsun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is with the lentils, chickpeas, and beans?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fat doesn't look to bad.

Day food needs a binder to hold it together and make it shelf stable. With the while grain free movement most manufacturers had to look for alternative binders. Peas and lentils both fit the bill of not being a grain but allowing for the dry food format while also boosting the protein. It's plant protein and there is a debate about how much cats can actually utilize plant proteins. But since the label is calculated the same as human foods it counts as added protein.