Esophageal Stricture

PTCarol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 yr old was recently diagnosed with a esophageal stricture which is a narrowing of the esophagus. We believe it was connected to a recent prescription of Doxycycline (pills) for a URI. I was not informed how important it was to follow every dose with a ton of water and after his 4th dose, he stopped eating and regurgitated anything he tried to eat. After many tests including an endoscopy, it was determined his esophagus was scarred. This is very rare and of course, I feel so guilty. I have to pulverize his food so that it makes it to his stomach. There is a procedure, Esophageal Balloon Dilation that can help. I'm trying to find a vet that is familiar with the procedure. Has anyone here ever had any experience with this condition or procedure?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did find one old thread where the poster was asking basically the same question as you because her cat was on it's third round of balloon dilation and the Vet said it would probably take two more because the scar tissue kept building back up. Unfortunately, they never came back afterwards to let us know what happened. Just wanted you to be aware that one treatment might not be enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PTCarol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU so much for the information. I have read that it can take anywhere from 3-9 procedures. I wish I had known the dangers of antibiotic pills. I would have elected for a liquid but what's done is done now. I just need to get him the best treatment possible.
These past comments were very valuable.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Depending on where you are, you might try calling major referral centers, teaching hospitals, or specialty vets. These may be found closer to larger cities, but I would want someone familiar with the procedure(s) to perform it. Is your vet able to give you any referrals? It is no insult to your regular vet if you do not want them to perform this and they should not take it that way.

This is an example of what I mean:
Specialty Veterinarians in Los Angeles, CA | VCA Animal Specialty Group
Under Departments/ Internal Medicine/Esophageal Stricture Management
Their discussion, which is brief, mentions dogs; however, this might extend to cats.