Escape door

lisamay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
So glad to have found this site! I have a cat escape door issue. I've one feral (probably more) thats here quite a bit and have hubby making a winter shelter for here in Wisconsin. My issue is where do find a one way escape hatch? No way will I trap the ferals in to be at the mercy of the critters out here in the middle of the woods. I see a 5x5 one way on the arkworkshop site and I've sent them a message to see if they would sell me one but... I'm not holding hope for that.
Anyone.. suggestions? I've searched and no bananas so far.
Thanks Lisa

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So glad to have found this site! I have a cat escape door issue. I've one feral (probably more) thats here quite a bit and have hubby making a winter shelter for here in Wisconsin. My issue is where do find a one way escape hatch? No way will I trap the ferals in to be at the mercy of the critters out here in the middle of the woods. I see a 5x5 one way on the arkworkshop site and I've sent them a message to see if they would sell me one but... I'm not holding hope for that.
Anyone.. suggestions? I've searched and no bananas so far.
Thanks Lisa
Hi lisamay lisamay and welcome to TCS! My husband and I are building a shelter from 2x2's and pallet wood. We are going to put two openings; one in the front and one on the side for escape. I'm not sure what you mean by an escape hatch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisamay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lisamay lisamay and welcome to TCS! My husband and I are building a shelter from 2x2's and pallet wood. We are going to put two openings; one in the front and one on the side for escape. I'm not sure what you mean by an escape hatch.
Hi, I am meaning and escape hatch/door for the cats if they would have a preditor face to face in the main entry so they can get out before they get mauled. Same thought as you have I just want a one way cat door so a preditor can only get in at one of the openings. :)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am meaning and escape hatch/door for the cats if they would have a preditor face to face in the main entry so they can get out before they get mauled. Same thought as you have I just want a one way cat door so a preditor can only get in at one of the openings. :)
Right, you just make sure you have two doors on the shelter you make the doors only big enough for a cat to fit in approx 4". The problem is you need an exit, because predators can easily turnover the shelter and still reach paws inside. Cat needs an escape route to run.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just have two openings. Make sure the shelter is sturdy and the openings are not big at all. I haev one igloo style heated cat house that is inside a garage and only has an opening about 6 inches in diameter. That is the favorite and I didn't even think they could get in it. Amazon has many K&H heated cat shelters. Most of them have an escape door which is really just another door. If they can be kept in a shed or garage with the door open just a little so large predators can't get in, that is the best. some of my heated cat pads are 10 years old and still going!