Epatkaitin Problem

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As my cat was barely eating a renal wet food, I added a little kitten food I know he loves and he cleaned his bowl. Not knowing how much phosphorous the kitten food contained, I added some Epatkaitin. His behaviour quickly reversed to the solely renal food (without the kitten food added) over just two days - hiding, looking poorly. I took him to my vet who decided to conduct an experiment by leaving the binder out. He's back to his former friendly self (no hiding). I'd spotted another post on this site with the cat owner saying her cat had behavioural changes with it too and had stopped using it. Has anyone else had problems with this binder? Dreading the phosphorous test result as the binder appears not to be beneficial. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never used Epakitin, only Phos-Bind and it does not appear to cause any issues with Feeby. However, if your cat is back to eating the renal food, you don't need it and shouldn't be using it, unless his phosphorus level is too high even with eating the renal food. If that is the case, ask your vet about using Phos-Bind instead.

Epakitin is comprised of calcium carbonate and chitosan, whereas Phos-Bind contains aluminum hydroxide, so if there is an issue with one of the ingredients in Epakitin, you are not likely to see the same reaction when using Phos-Bind. Phos-Bind also is tasteless, so Feeby doesn't seem to be aware that it is in her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never used Epakitin, only Phos-Bind and it does not appear to cause any issues with Feeby. However, if your cat is back to eating the renal food, you don't need it and shouldn't be using it, unless his phosphorus level is too high even with eating the renal food. If that is the case, ask your vet about using Phos-Bind instead.

Epakitin is comprised of calcium carbonate and chitosan, whereas Phos-Bind contains aluminum hydroxide, so if there is an issue with one of the ingredients in Epakitin, you are not likely to see the same reaction when using Phos-Bind. Phos-Bind also is tasteless, so Feeby doesn't seem to be aware that it is in her food.
Epakaitin was the one recommended by my vet. We don't have Phos-Bind here and I'd be hesitant feeding him something with aluminum in it. I've scoured the net and ones containing calcium carbonate are way recommended over aluminum. Neither here nor there as it makes him poorly anyway. Just must wait to see if his phosphorous levels are still stable.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that is a good idea regarding re-checking his phosphorus level before doing anything else.

There are potential side effects from most any med/supplement, and phosphorus binders are no exception. Most of the issues associated with products like Phos-Bind are interactions with other meds and can be managed by the timing of administration. Aluminum toxicity would probably be the biggest concern but is a very rare issue in cats taking these kinds of binders.

Epakitin also has drug interaction issues as well, such as famotidine or similar products rendering it less effective - not sure if the timing of med administration makes a difference or not. It is also viewed not to be quite as effective as aluminum hydroxide, in general. But, to me, the biggest issue is monitoring a cat's calcium level to ensure it doesn't elevate to the point of hypercalcemia.

I hope you find your cat's phosphorus level is at an acceptable range, and that no phos binder is necessary at this time!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used Epakitin with my first CKD kitty and didn't have a problem, but that's been more than 10 years ago. With my second CKD kitty, I gave a Potassium supplement and a feline urinary health supplement from Standard Process and she did great with it.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't give him any meds, just Krill oil, a liquid B Complex, a Probiotic and CBD oil so can only conclude, given the swiftness of his turnaround, it must be the Epataikin. When I stopped it he was better straight away. Just have to wait for phosphorous results. Here's another poster who'd had problems with Epataikin some time ago, so it's not just me then Epakitin Side Effects - Kidney Cats Thanks for taking the time to respond. Fingers crossed. I wish someone could come up with something tasty with protein and lowered phosphorous. Tried egg white, won't eat it. Picky cat :/

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never changed my girl's food to a low phosphorus food. It was more important to me that she ate and I was afraid that switching food would be a stressor for her and cause her to stop eating.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never changed my girl's food to a low phosphorus food. It was more important to me that she ate and I was afraid that switching food would be a stressor for her and cause her to stop eating.
I do have concerns regarding this over 'renal food'. He'd been eating a high fiber kibble when he was first diagnosed with early onset to normal by a former vet. Then he stopped eating altogether. He now eats predominantly wet food and will eat the renal pap IF mixed with a little kitten food. He tries to dig it out and leave the renal so now feed him small amounts three times a day.

My dogs were diagnosed with CKD even though I had been feeding them a mix of chicken and kibble. Renal food wasn't even discussed back then, but different vet/times.

I agree quality of life over quantity. Just have to wait and see how the compromise turns out. I don't want him hiding/avoiding contact and miserable and the short term benefits of IV and SubQ aren't worth the stress and seem to me to be somewhat anachronistic. So no more of THAT.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that sub-Q's are anachronistic. My cat was put on renal diet, sub-Q's, and pills. I personally added vitamins B and a probiotic mix and she benefited from these a lot. She lived 11 years after diagnosis. I don't know what gave her the best benefit, but I wouldn't have removed any of the above.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to ask, how did she do on her normal food? I'm beginning to think this renal 'food' is yet another rip off. Just called in to buy a few pouches and the price has jumped 20%! It's not the cost, but cat was doing very badly when given ONLY renal food. I understand the 'wet' part for water content, but I'd rather pay the same price for a good quality (IF I can find any here) wet food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She did great on her regular food. We feed grain-free so it was high protein. She did eat slower and less, so she ate more often so she'd get the same amount of food as normal. We also have always added water to wet food to make it thick like oatmeal to add in a little more water into their diet. She was also a good water drinker, which helped. She actually passed from intestinal lymphoma and the vet at the ER clinic was surprised her kidneys were functioning great.

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She did great on her regular food. We feed grain-free so it was high protein. She did eat slower and less, so she ate more often so she'd get the same amount of food as normal. We also have always added water to wet food to make it thick like oatmeal to add in a little more water into their diet. She was also a good water drinker, which helped. She actually passed from intestinal lymphoma and the vet at the ER clinic was surprised her kidneys were functioning great.
Apart from the lymphoma, sounds as though she had a happy life eating good food. I had to visit my local pet clinic to buy a few more pouches of the ghastly renal food to mix with the kitten food and asked the vet there (not my regular vet, she has no equipment) if there was anything low phosphorous and she gave me a sample of some kibble for aging cats (Perfecta, no grain or animal by products and added vitamins at very good price)). I let cat have a little kibble alongside his wet food, which I too feed little and more often, to bulk him up a bit. He looks much better but is still very quiet as opposed to his constantly yowling self, and he too has always been a big water drinker so here's hoping his phosphorous test next Monday comes good. Thanks for your very informative reply.