Enlarge intestines in my male cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flora1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed a few night ago , that my male cat who is about 12 years old threw up twice a week ago I didn’t think much . And then again this pass week . Also notice he went hiding underneath the bed. I knew something was wrong . So I took him to ER . As my vet was close .they did blood Work which was fine . They did X-ray and said he had inlarge intestines
And there was a blockage. 24 hours later they took him in and called me telling it was a hairball . And they did an intestinal biopsies . The would call me with the histopathology . Since bring him home he been sleep a lot , is that normal for a cat after surgery. Thanks for your help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you saying your cat had abdominal surgery? I think it would be perfectly normal for a cat - just like any human - to be tired after surgery, particularly on their intestines. Resting/sleeping is part of the healing process. I also think it would be normal for your cat to be receiving some pain meds for the first couple-three days. So, if he does not have any prescribed, call the vet and ask about that aspect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flora1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s the surgery he had . He was given medication . But it’s like a fight to try to give it to him .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He was given medication . But it’s like a fight to try to give it to him .
If the pain meds are pills and can be crushed, you can try mixing them with some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) or hidden in a pill pocket or pill paste to see if you can get him to take them that way. Even with liquid, the baby food meat would probably work.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am relieved to see the update! Yes, FeebysOwner is spot on that sleeping and rest are an important part of healing. Pain meds cause drowsiness too. Key to pain management is to not miss any doses - staying ahead of pain rather than playing catch-up is key.

Flora1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon, my cat Chris was resting last night right on me . He got up this morning to eat and pee . And since then he is resting not wanting to move . Is that normal four days after surgery. And he has yet to poo . He staring eating on Saturday. Not drinking much water. Not sure what to Expect as I’ve never had a cat go through surgery before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may still not be feeling up to 'par', and maybe the extra movement ether bothered him or tired him out. Pain meds can sometimes cause a cat's stool to be harder than normal, and his lack of movement/drinking might be attributing to that. See if you can't get him to drink more water - perhaps take a smaller dish with water and add some tuna water (from a canned tuna in water) to increase his interest in drinking. He was likely 'cleaned out' before surgery, and it might take a bit of time for the intestines to start properly functioning again.

I guess I didn't realize that it is 4 days past the surgery - you might want to call and update the vet as to his current status, just to see if they think his progress is what they would have expected.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet in case Chris would benefit from a stool softener. You could also ask the vet to consider slippery elm to help sooth the GI tract. Thank you for keeping us updated!

Flora1980

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor sweet boy Chris , has not been doing any better. Eating very little , not drink water. And clearly in pain , could not even walk yesterday evening . When back to the vet hospital and he got his biopsy back and unfortunately it came back as lymphoma. He was almost 13 years old and gave me the best love anyone can give me . He was very Loving and affectionate towards me. He is in no more pain .

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences, Flora - you gave Chris a final, and one of the dearest, gift of release and peace. Your TCS family is here for you, both in the forums and via Private Message.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just never thought it would be so hard . I know I did the right thing . But it not easy.
You gave Chris far more happy times full of love and joys of living. My dad's people believed that even though the soul remains dormant until Judgment Day,the spirit returns to the Creator and we are often given celestial signs such as a spectacular sunset or sunrise or rainbow. Sometimes, a raven, butterfly, bird or dragonfly stops briefly for an unusual visit. The Night Sky Trail (aka Milky Way) is thought to be the path to Home and I like to think of Chris joining some little child crossing over.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Chris was one of the lucky ones to have found someone who loved him so much to share his life with. You did the hardest and bravest thing that you could have done for him when you released him.

When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. If you would like to post a tribute or memorial to Chris in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are more than welcome to do so.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.