Elsa refusing to eat without tuna...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, my cat Elsa had surgery two weeks ago. I felt bad so I added tuna to her food to entice her to eat. And it worked. I dont want to give her tuna long term, because my other cat starts getting upset that their food is different. I use microchip feeders, but she can smell the tuna. My bigger cat then starts protesting about her food and wanting tuna. But now my skinny cat is only eating half her food because it doesnt have tuna. :sigh: I worked hard to get my 13 lb cat to lose 2 lbs so I cant keep increasing her food. Do I just wait out the skinny cat until she starts eating all her food, or do I give in?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you add the tuna back in, or try tuna juice but then super slowly decrease it over time and hopefully eventually get her to the point where she's eating just her regular food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you add the tuna back in, or try tuna juice but then super slowly decrease it over time and hopefully eventually get her to the point where she's eating just her regular food?
I will try again. :sigh: Hopefully my bigger cat will learn to accept that theyre going to get different foods. lol

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’ll probably get tired of it eventually. My boy had a month where he’d refuse to eat without tuna - since he was ill and I was worried about getting him to eat, I gave in and let him have tuna all the time.

After a month or two he got tired of it and decided he hated tuna and wasn’t going to eat it any more.

While you wait for your girl to get tired of tuna, Tiki Cat makes a canned “Tuna and Mackerel in consummé” food that’s remarkably similar to people-food tuna in texture, but is nutritionally complete for cats. Get the one that’s in consummé, not the “Ahi Tuna” which comes in a dark sticky sauce and isn’t like people-food canned tuna at all.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you're right. I will give it to her until she hopefully gets bored. Lol thank you!

She’ll probably get tired of it eventually. My boy had a month where he’d refuse to eat without tuna - since he was ill and I was worried about getting him to eat, I gave in and let him have tuna all the time.

After a month or two he got tired of it and decided he hated tuna and wasn’t going to eat it any more.

While you wait for your girl to get tired of tuna, Tiki Cat makes a canned “Tuna and Mackerel in consummé” food that’s remarkably similar to people-food tuna in texture, but is nutritionally complete for cats. Get the one that’s in consummé, not the “Ahi Tuna” which comes in a dark sticky sauce and isn’t like people-food canned tuna at all.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are so different. Ailish likes fish and will sometimes go on a, "I only eat seafood" food strike. But she will not eat tuna, which so many other cats love.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use microchip feeders and my girls are on different diets. Fancy can't eat poultry, and her rabbit based food has fish oil in it. Delilah can eat poultry, but can't eat fish, even fish oil. They may try getting into each other's food, but I have it set on fast closing and they're both used to it. Fancy will still sniff at Delilah's dish, but she's not getting into it.