Elevated & Tilted bowls

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We use one that's not available anymore.. we got it in 2020. It's a plastic base and two clear plastic bowls that are deep.

Cal will use the deep bowls as a game and use his feet to pull kibble out. The base yellowed in the sun so that's not great. The clear bowls come off the plate and if I put them on backwards it gives a gentler tilt which my cats prefer. The clear bowls are the perfect shape to hold their saucers which is how I actually use the bowl most often. It raises their saucers and the saucers don't cause whisker fatigue.

We got another raised bowl not tilted which has metal saucers and I like it better.

My cats still prefer to eat literally off the floor so useless purchases all around. If Magnus is a bit nauseous the height is better for him if I just use the cardboard bottom from the wet food cases.

We want to try these ones: Amazon.ca

But again I think the bowls will be too deep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I starting think about this and browsing on Amazon when I suddenly remembered some elevated stands I had my dad make for me many years ago. These were specifically for the water bowls. I had stopped using them and they were stored away. I retrieved them and put them back to use. I put the shorter one with the water bowl and the taller one with the food bowl. The water is not tilted but the food is. For now, I just used a plastic case for some cheater glasses to achieve the tilt. Bella has no problems using either bowl.
IMG_20240226_195710584.jpg
IMG_20240226_195720968.jpg
IMG_20240226_195730501.jpg

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these: Whisker City® Elevated Ceramic Cat Bowl | cat Elevated Stands | PetSmart
Mainly because they were cheap and available, and they ticked all the boxes - shallow, tilted, and elevated. I got them for my arthritic old cat. I like them fine, but the capacity is very small. I have to refill the water several times a day.

I haven't noticed much difference in which my cats prefer. I have regular bowls of food and water in the kitchen. My able-bodied cats will use either bowls and the old cat will also use the regular bowls if she happens through the kitchen.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I use this:

Amazon.com

I put her regular food bowl into the stainless steel bowl. I don't put the food right into the stainless steel bowl.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use these: Whisker City® Elevated Ceramic Cat Bowl | cat Elevated Stands | PetSmart
Mainly because they were cheap and available, and they ticked all the boxes - shallow, tilted, and elevated. I got them for my arthritic old cat. I like them fine, but the capacity is very small. I have to refill the water several times a day.

I haven't noticed much difference in which my cats prefer. I have regular bowls of food and water in the kitchen. My able-bodied cats will use either bowls and the old cat will also use the regular bowls if she happens through the kitchen.
One reason I no longer use ceramic is cat acne! More likely to happen with ceramic

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One reason I no longer use ceramic is cat acne! More likely to happen with ceramic
Oh you had can acne for ceramic! Interesting. I thought plastic was the most likely culprit.

I had issues when the dish soap I was using. Odd how finiky that issue can be.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you had can acne for ceramic! Interesting. I thought plastic was the most likely culprit.

I had issues when the dish soap I was using. Odd how finiky that issue can be.
I hadn't heard of ceramic as a culprit, either. Daisy started to get a hint of it when I was using a plastic spoon for her Osmolax (she drinks it out of the mixing spoon most of the time, no syringe needed). I switched to an old metal spoon and she no longer gets it. Phoebe has it permanently, presumably because of her dodgy immune system.

I was looking for elevated bowls for them a while ago but didn't see any I wanted to try (the range here is pretty limited). They eat from a couple of china bowls from Vinnie's. I only went to bowls instead of saucers because they're such a pair of grots and spread their kibble all over the floor!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting. I switched from china because visual disability makes me clumsy. I got sick of cleaning up broken china. I am using plastic though with no issues of cat acne since I returned to dawn dishsoap

Ah cats. There's always so many factors.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use this for water but may eventually get a fountain as one of my cats loves to play with it and try to tip it over.

Attachments