Elevated Calcium Level In Young Cat. Help

rbianchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty first starting by throwing up a few weeks ago and she was prescribed metronidazole. A couple of days later she presented symptoms like sneezing and discharge from her nose and eyes. They then prescribed her clavamox. Ever since giving her clavamox her appetite is completely shot. She is barely eaten. I took her to the get again today and they did a blood panel on her. It came back saying she has low calcium levels (5.3), normal phosphate, and elevated magnesium levels (7.7). She is healthy otherwise and is only 3 years old. I'm wondering if anybody might know what this combination could indicate. I am so worried for my baby. The vet said it could be a parathyroid issue but I'm wondering if it might just be something that's not chronic. ❤

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you got a different antibiotic for your girl. Clavamox is hard on kitties and can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I would actually re-check her bloodwork when she is well as illness and medication can skew test results. If it does turn out to be the thyroid, then hopefully it can be easily treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rbianchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good to hear that others have had issues with the clavamox. My vet said I can take her off of it so I have discontinued the antibiotics and will hopefully wait it out to see if she is feeling better. Thank u so much for your advice ❤ I'm hopings it's just all the meds in her system. They gave her a cortisone shot as well and I was reading that it can inhibit the absorption of calcium so I'm praying and crossing my fingers that this is transient. Breaks my heart to see her in any pain at all .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rbianchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her appetite is finally back and she is eating and drinking like normal (the vet gave her an appetite stimulant I apply 2x day( However, she just isn't acting quite her normal self. She is pretty lethargic and seems to just want to be near me all the time. Do u think this could just be the sickness leaving her system or the meds taking a toll. She had been off the clavamox for almost 2 days now .

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could just be that she's not feeling well. Do you have a different vet you can take her to for a second opinion? Is she still eating well?