Elderly cat with diabetes, kidney disease & tooth resorption

Lightnings-mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
After some advice please.
Lightning is 20 now and started with health issues mid last year.
In September he had to have 6 teeth out (at this point they also discovered he has a heart murmur)
After this he got an ulcer in his mouth and they diagnosed him with stage 2 kidney disease. He was put on steroids to clear the ulcer which did work but refused to eat any renal foods.
Just before Christmas he stopped eating and after various tests vets diagnosed with diabetes.
He is now on caninsulin (1 unit, twice a day).
Everything picked up for a few weeks but then he started being picky again with his food.
Vets have now said he has tooth resorption but will not do surgery due to his various other issues and age (they don’t think he’d survive another anaesthetic and I do agree with them).
He seems happy enough but just is very picky with food and isn’t eating as much as he used to.
Does anyone know of a painkiller that I can get from the vet to help his mouth which is suitable for a cat with diabetes, kidney disease & heart murmur?The vet hasnt offered any and has just said to keep him eating and let him eat whatever he is happy with but I want him to be comfortable for however long he has left with us.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You might ask the vet about gabapentin. I’ve used it with a diabetic cat and a kidney cat (both elderly) with no problems. I currently have an 18-year-old cat on it for arthritis pain. She also has kidney issues. It made her a bit loopy at first, but then she adjusted to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lightnings-mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I’ll see how we go over this weekend while I can watch him eat to see if he looks uncomfortable and if he does I will give them a call on Monday.