Elder Kitty Urinating Outside The Litter Box

racindave99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been urinating outside the litter box but defecating inside of it. She's an elderly cat. I don't know of any stresses in her life except for the fact she's getting older. Maybe a little deafer or totally deaf as we don't see her ears move anymore when we try to get her attention. She seems to really enjoy going outside more in the last few months. Maybe because of the unusually warm temps we've had in the northeast. We did change the kitty litter, not sure if my wife changed it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat has been urinating outside the litter box but defecating inside of it. She's an elderly cat. I don't know of any stresses in her life except for the fact she's getting older. Maybe a little deafer or totally deaf as we don't see her ears move anymore when we try to get her attention. She seems to really enjoy going outside more in the last few months. Maybe because of the unusually warm temps we've had in the northeast. We did change the kitty litter, not sure if my wife changed it back.
Given you are talking an older cat and since she is avoiding the box just for peeing that points to a specific problem that is making her associate peeing and the litter box. Specific items that come to mind would be UTI or kidney issues, as such you should start with a vet appointment to rule out medical related issues. This can become serious quickly so the sooner the better, since she is peeing though it isn't an emergency but I would get the next available appointment to be safe.

Here is an article that goes into more detail:
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racindave99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I'll discuss it with my wife. She just had a check up months ago and all was fine. Some of her decline happened after the check up,

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second Kieka Kieka -- if this is a sudden problem in a senior, I'd be looking at the urinary tract. Cats are prone to kidney problems due to a low thirst drive, so it could even be serious, not to scare you, but this is certainly something that isn't a small issue.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. I'll discuss it with my wife. She just had a check up months ago and all was fine. Some of her decline happened after the check up,
Senior cats can have sudden changes and urinary related problems often won't be identified on a regular exam. Even with a recent check up I would do an exam for the specific problem within the next week or two (at the latest) with a urinary test specifically requested to check for crystals or bacteria in the urine.