Eating frozen raw, but not drinking

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now, one of my girls is eating frozen raw (thawed of course). Recently she seems to have stopped drinking. I have the Felaqua microchip water bowl which sends me a message when the cats drink and tracks it in the app. I know it's working because it sent me a message that her sister had drank. Her drink stoppage seems to have coincided with a bubble in the water bottle that made a loud noise as she walked past. I did put out a dish of water but she seemed uninterested. As long as she's eating the frozen raw, should I worry about her not drinking? I have to go out of town for a week on Monday, there will be a cat sitter checking twice a day, and I know I will worry if I don't see messages that she's drinking. I'll leave a separate water bowl, but I'm worried she won't touch it, and I won't know.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you adding water to the thawed food? I’ve had Mocha for more than five years, and I’ve never seen her drink! I have water bowls all over the house because Iris drinks all the time. But I add quite a bit of water to their freeze-dried raw and canned food to make sure they’re well hydrated.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe add just a bit of extra water to the food.
Cats are generally designed to absorb most of their water from their food. So when they are eat a high moisture diet, it’s not too surprising that their water dish usage would fall off.
I’ve been feeding a raw diet for many years and while we have water bowls set out, our cats rarely use them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I was worried. I was more concerned because she was drinking before, and once she heard that noise from the bowl she seems to have stopped.