Eating Behavior、new Mother Cat

runningmatches123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have a 1 year old cat who gave birth about a month ago and she will not stop eating. She eats everything that’s around the house. The other day I found her eating these bits of rice from a dirty dish. The other day I was eating a piece of pumpkin pie and a chunk fell off and she ran across the room to eat it. I just came home and I left a box of jelly doughnuts on my kitchen table and one of the doughnuts has been eaten and she’s the only one here. I’m pretty sure I’m feeding her a good amount of food. I would just like to know if this is normal? Is it because of the babies she just had? Should I contact the vet? Thank you for your time.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it takes a lot of food and water to fill up a mom cat. At a month old, those kittens are draining her of milk and nutrients. Get some dry kitten food (it has a lot of calcium in it) and leave it out all day for her. If she won't eat dry food, then feed her an extra meal. Make sure also that she has plenty of fresh water.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What everyone else said :) Her body is working hard to sustain and feed everyone else too! Ravenous eating is normal. She should have access to dry kitten food and water at all times, as much as she wants, and also feed canned food a couple times a day ideally. She should be fed kitten food until she is done nursing, it has extra calories and nutrients. Good luck and keep us posted!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeding a mama cat outside who gave birth just a little over a month ago. And her appetite is epic! She eats twice the amount of food my indoor cats take, and more. Before I leave for work in the morning and before I sleep at night I leave kibbles for her after I give her the regular canned wet food. It is ok. She is nursing, so it is understandable.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She needs a lot of high quality food to produce milk for those kittens so an increase in appetite is normal. The fact that she's hunting down every morsel suggests she isn't getting enough food or nutrients. It is a bit shocking how much queens eat. When I've had cats birth here they had access to dry kitten food at all times and give wet kitten food as scheduled feedings.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy the powdered form of Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) and mix her a couple of saucers per day as long as she is nursing. It will provide her with the extra calories, fat and protein, that she needs for her milk.

Pet Smart and other pet shops carry MR and various forms of goat's milk. Bioth will help mom cat a lot.