Easy vehicle repair question

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning Neil went to lower the windows in the truck and they didn't respond. (a 2002 Ford F150)
We looked in the manual and it could be a relay?

If so we could just pull it out, take to local dealer and get a new one?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it should be either under the hood or under the dash. It should look like a big fuse box, and most of the time the specific relay will be labeled "power windows" or something similar. (Answer thanks to my hubby)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its under the dash and the manual says the specific on and has a diagram. We pulled it out but stuck it back in.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

This morning Neil went to lower the windows in the truck and they didn't respond. (a 2002 Ford F150)

You are asking a woman who had a new boyfriend come and pump up a flat tire for her.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't survive long around my house. (says me who had to look in the drill's manual on how to put the attachments on!)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a relay, or it could be a fuse. Is there anything else not working? Often the power windows are on a circuit with something else.

However, the F150 has a relay that maintains power to all the accessories until you open the door after turning off the ignition, and that might be your problem.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You wouldn't survive long around my house. (says me who had to look in the drill's manual on how to put the attachments on!)
Hey, I put together a table and chairs and a bookcase with my newly purchased electric screwdriver. I was so proud of myself. Even bought a level to hang up my pictures in my new apt. The car though - foreign territory.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think you could take it to a dealership and see if there's maybe just a short in the system?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be as simple as the blown fuse or relay but worst case scenario its the window motor that went out. If it is and your DH is handy with fixing stuff he can take the door panal apart and replace it with a new motor from Advanced Auto, or AA, or Napa etc. Anyone of those stores will carry a new motor and you can also take the vehicle into them and they can replace the fuse for you? Im not sure about the relay though.

BF had to replace a window motor in a 03 Tahoe once and its a lot easier and cheaper to replace the whole motor rather than the individual parts to it. But according to him its an arm and a leg to take it to a dealer to have the motor fixed. But thats just a worst case scenario with power windows.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's one window, it could be a motor. If it's all of them, then it's likely a fuse or relay.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH replaced a motor on my old Grand Am with a motor from a junk yard. After a full day of cussing, throwing things, threatening to buy a horse and buggy, it finally worked...for a few weeks until the entire car died. But, it can be done and save a bunch of money if you know someone that can do it and has the patience.

See, this is why I hate electric windows and locks on a car. Just one more thing that can go wrong. Do they make them with manual windows anymore? I have NO problem using my own power to get the windows up.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My Dh is a mechanic, I asked him he said it is mostly likely just a fuse. If changing the fuse doesn't work then it is most likely the switch

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took it to our local guy tonite. He fixed the fuse for the trailer light! But it wasn't the relay/fuse. So since we don't need it we can drop off tomorrow so he can try some different things. The dome light isn't working either which I never noticed.

Thanks for the suggestions!