Easter Dinner

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you cooking for Easter Dinner and who is coming over to help eat it. I have cooked ham, collard, sweet potatoes, creamed potatoes, gravy, pan fried corn, apple cobble and strawberry shortcake. My son and his family are coming for church and then helping us eat the food. :clap:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had strawberry shortcake in quite a while! Bet that will be delicious! We love pan fried corn, too.

Rick's parents, my brother and SIL, my sister and BIL, and my sister's MIL and BIL. There will be ten of us.

Apple Cider Baked Ham (Just finished working on the brine; ham has to be brined overnight. Recipe is from Cook’s Country)

Delmonico Potatoes (I was going to make Mustard Potatoes au Gratin, but decided on this instead. Recipe is from Cook’s Country. Make ahead, so will work on them yet tonight)

Sweet Potato and Apple Scallop

Baked Corn (My sister is bringing)

Asparagus with Leeks

Pickled Eggs (Made them last night)

Freezer Cabbage (A pickled cabbage that you can make and freeze and use as needed)

Sesame Onion Bread with Onion Butter (Made the bread this morning; recipe makes two loaves, so I threw a loaf in the freezer for later on.)

Chocolate Swirl Cake

Ladyfinger Lemon Dessert

Sugared Pecans (Made them this afternoon)

Iced Tea and Coffee

Pineapple Wine

I was going to make some cookies, too, but ran out of time. Rick and I were busy with other stuff today. With the cake and the torte, cookies aren't needed, although Rick might not agree with that.

Last edited:

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm baking a ham and making potato salad. My husbands two favorite foods. It's just going to be us, it's our 29th wedding anniversary and we just want to spend the day together...alone! I may make a red velvet cake tonight.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you cooking for Easter Dinner and who is coming over to help eat it. I have cooked ham, collard, sweet potatoes, creamed potatoes, gravy, pan fried corn, apple cobble and strawberry shortcake. My son and his family are coming for church and then helping us eat the food. :clap:
Just going to be 2 here this year. Doing orange/bourbon glazed ham, my own scratch made scalloped potatoes w/bacon, grilled asparagus and a scratch made cherry pie. There will be lots of nibbles during the day too :D

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's just the two of us, and dinner is going to be ham, spicy potato salad (lots of hot mustard) and glazed carrots. No dessert, because there's Easter candy to nibble on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had strawberry shortcake in quite a while! Bet that will be delicious! We love pan fried corn, too.

Rick's parents, my brother and SIL, my sister and BIL, and my sister's MIL and BIL. There will be ten of us.

Apple Cider Baked Ham
(Just finished working on the brine; ham has to be brined overnight. Recipe is from Cook’s Country)

Delmonico Potatoes (I was going to make Mustard Potatoes au Gratin, but decided on this instead. Recipe is from Cook’s Country. Make ahead, so will work on them yet tonight)
Sweet Potato and Apple Scallop
Baked Corn (My sister is bringing)
Asparagus with Leeks
Pickled Eggs (Made them last night)
Freezer Cabbage (A pickled cabbage that you can make and freeze and use as needed)
Sesame Onion Bread with Onion Butter (Made the bread this morning; recipe makes two loaves, so I threw a loaf in the freezer for later on.)

Chocolate Swirl Cake
Ladyfinger Lemon Dessert
Sugared Pecans (Made them this afternoon)

Iced Tea and Coffee
Pineapple Wine

I was going to make some cookies, too, but ran out of time. Rick and I were busy with other stuff today. With the cake and the torte, cookies aren't needed, although Rick might not agree with that.

Where do you get pineapple wine. I am not much of a wine drinker, but that sounds like it might be good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Where do you get pineapple wine. I am not much of a wine drinker, but that sounds like it might be good.
Shade Mountain has a pineapple wine. It wasn't bad, kind of sweet overall. My brother and SIL brought Shade Mountain's Anniversary White Wine and I think my SIL and I drank the bottle ourselves. That white is delicious. Some of their fruit wines are really good .... my MIL loves their elderberry wine. I love Proprietor's Red (I think that's what it's called)....great for beef stew and spaghetti sauce.

Here's the link to Shade Mountain. It's local and we like their wines a lot. http://www.shademountainwinery.com/  We don't know that much about wine either. We just buy what we like.

We buy Three Witches and Granny Z's Mint Tea Wine from Shade Mountain, too. Three Witches is a sparkling wine and it's really good. My sister and I love Granny Z's Mint Tea Wine in the summer. We usually split a case of Granny's. It doesn't last long around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a Mexican restaurant. :lol3:
I

I love Mexican, but hubby won't eat it. So I never get chance to have enchiladas or tacos. I lived three years on the west coast when I was younger and learned to love it there.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Easter dinner was chicken noodle soup and crackers. Stomach virus all weekend :(

BF went to his mom's house yesterday, no idea what he had for dinner though over there. I do miss the days of going to my uncle's house with my family, grandparents, and members from my aunt's side having a big 'feast' on Easter (and Thanksgiving and Christmas!)

Last year BF and I got Chinese food after going to his mom's lol.

Last edited:

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had Easter at my sister's house. She made a honey ham, and I made deviled eggs and potato salad. :)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was just the two of us (and the kitties..lol).  We cured a natural (aka country ham) ham for about a week, (made a sugar-free brine) and then smoked it.  I made gluten-free yeast rolls, we had salad with avocado, mashed cauliflower, fresh asparagus.  Hubby had a decent gluten-free beer, and I had a half glass of pinot grigio.  Dessert was a modified Cassata - where I substituted all purpose gluten free flour for thetiny bit of flour called for in the filling (which is ricotta cheese, fresh orange zest, shaved unsweetened baker's chocolate, eggs etc.), and skipped a crust, just using almond meal as a base crust.
T'was a lovely day - about 65% and the ham turned out fantastic!

Last edited: