Lots of global-wide activities to celebrate the day, including virtual ones 🌏

Tips on how to live more sustainably:

Some deals on food and Earth-friendly products:

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One year we planted a tiny fir tree. Our youngest daughter got it at school to celebrate Earth Day. We planted it in the back of the yard never expecting it to grow but it's gigantic now and unfortunately so close to the fence I'm worried we may have to cut it down since I doubt it can be moved. :eek:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I planted a tree seed once. I don't recall what kind of tree. It was in a sample packet that came with something. For some reason I have never understood, dad threw a tantrum over the seed I planted and dug a huge hole around where I planted and thew all the dirt away :dunno:

Is anyone taking steps to be more Earth friendly? Using less plastic? Buying things that can be reused or repurposed multiple times? More conscious of food waste? I already recycle and take reusable canvas bags to the supermarket. I looked into those beeswax bags and wraps, alternatives to plastic bags and wrap, but they're so expensive for even a small pack.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is anyone taking steps to be more Earth friendly? I already recycle and take reusable canvas bags to the supermarket.
Ditto, I do the same and have been recycling for a long time. I also have reusable water bottles to drink from whether I'm going to the gym or in the car instead of buying plastic water bottles.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got 2 free tiny redbud saplings to plant when DS was still a baby. (Technically one was given to my mother; but it got planted in my yard.) One didn't make it but the other is getting much taller! I've taken DD's picture with it every spring while it's in bloom. :hearthrob:

We are good about recycling and reusing things. Reusable bags are required here and some stores just let you use a box from products they've stocked. I try to be conscientious about what chemicals and fertilizers I use in my garden. (Sometimes the organic just isn't as effective and I've lost harvests...) We all have reusable water bottles but recycle the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have reusable water bottles, too. Sparkling water and soda bottles get taken to the recycling thing at the supermarket and I get $0.05 for every bottle put into the machine. I've kept a few of the last bottles to use as a "watering can" for my plants. There's one for plain water and a few others with different plant type specific fertilizers mixed in. All bottles are clearly labeled with the contents inside.

I saw a great tip recently - have too many disposable plastic spoons from take out, etc? Repurpose them as plant stakes for both indoor and outdoor plants 🌱 Label the spoon part, either side, with the name of the plant. A Sharpie marker will work if you don't have a label machine. Plastic forks would also work - write the name of the plant on a piece of paper, laminate it, and sort of wedge it in between the tines. The chopsticks from take out places can also be used to stake plants to keep them from toppling over and to help with re-potting.

Has anyone tried those beeswax bags and wraps? They seem great but are so expensive. The bags and wraps are compostable when the beeswax has worn away which is supposed to be in a year or so depending on usage.