Early Labour And Tiny Kittens

sunshiness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am asking this for a friend and she has a cat who was pregnant and yesterday around 4 am she found out that she had given birth. Now the problem is taht one of the kittens was extremely tiny(about the size of a finger) and passed away while there are still 2 other kittens but they are also not of averagr size. The cat is nursing the other 2 kittens normally but she still feels kittens in momma cat's stomach. Also there is a problem that when they woke up thr kittens were already born so they couldnt check for placentas so now they are worried. They contacted the vet on call because they live in a remote area and the vet suggested some tablets. They are currently treating it with that but any help here would be appreciated!! Thankyou!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be born hours and days apart, it is not common but does happen. The other kittens will most likely be born when they are properly due. The first two may be premature, so they need to be watched closely to make sure they are eating enough and should be weighed daily to determine this and if there is a need to supplement. There are some experts on this site who should be responding soon with far more expertise than I have in this matter, in the meantime I'll pray that the wee ones come through fine. All the luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What tablets is mom taking?

Mama does not need tablets to bring on labor, if that's what they are. She will have the other babies when her body is ready.

She most likely delivered the placentas and ate them, as most cats do. It is rare that a placenta is not delivered.

As already stated, carefully weigh and observe the tiny newborns.

Do you know how much they weigh? They should gain 6-10 grams per day.

Please encourage your friend to join us here on TCS! :)