Ear problem

Alexdoc123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed this dry/flakey patch in my cats ear about a week ago, it’s a layer of dry skin ontop and flakes off, if I gently pull it easily comes off but it has resulted in a bald patch as it takes his fur with it, anyone know what this is or how I can treat it as I can’t get to the vets at the moment due to covid

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Would your vet allow you to send the photo to him/her and then let you know what they think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alexdoc123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Would your vet allow you to send the photo to him/her and then let you know what they think?
Not possible sadly hense why I’ve come to this forum haha not sure if I should be super worried or not

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea what it might be. Are there any other spots anywhere else on his body like that? Does he go outside where he could have gotten into something that irritated his skin? Or, even inside maybe? Does he scratch at it at all, or does it seem to bother him otherwise? Has he had any recently food changes, where this could be the beginnings of some sort of food allergy?

You can try a home remedy - not a cure but I don't think it can hurt either. Buy standard grocery store chamomile tea bags - most all are German, you don't want English, nor any flavorings/additives - brew one in water, cool the liquid and apply it to that area with a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. The tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agents, and has both soothing and healing properties. It is also safe for him to ingest.

If it spreads, you will seriously need to contact a vet for further guidance.

P.S. Not sure if you should be pulling the flakes off or otherwise picking at it, you could cause an infection. Also, anyway this could be the start of ringworm?

Alexdoc123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have no idea what it might be. Are there any other spots anywhere else on his body like that? Does he go outside where he could have gotten into something that irritated his skin? Or, even inside maybe? Does he scratch at it at all, or does it seem to bother him otherwise? Has he had any recently food changes, where this could be the beginnings of some sort of food allergy?

You can try a home remedy - not a cure but I don't think it can hurt either. Buy standard grocery store chamomile tea bags - most all are German, you don't want English, nor any flavorings/additives - brew one in water, cool the liquid and apply it to that area with a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. The tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal agents, and has both soothing and healing properties. It is also safe for him to ingest.

If it spreads, you will seriously need to contact a vet for further guidance.

P.S. Not sure if you should be pulling the flakes off or otherwise picking at it, you could cause an infection. Also, anyway this could be the start of ringworm?

Alexdoc123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much this has been so useful, this is the only patch I’ve seen, he stays indoors and isn’t around any other cats.If it gets worse I will contact the vet for an emergency appointment but I will definitely try this in the meantime to see if it settles it thank you again